• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zithromax?

Have you found zithromax effective by itself? My doctor wanted me to do minocycline and zithro combo, but the minocycline gave me severe head pressure that wouldn't go away.

After a week of no relief from that she told me to stop it and we might come back to minocycline later in treatment. She now wants me to do zithromax every other day at 250mg and slowly work up to daily.

We have a phone consultation in a month where i am sure she will add in one or two other meds, but i was just wondering if zithro can do much on its own?

msf

Hip, as it´s in the Lyme forum I believe the poster is asking in regard to Lyme. Of course, if you think that ME is Lyme then the thread is relevant, but unless I am wrong you are an Enterovirus guy, not a Lyme guy.

The doctors I know of give Azithromycin in combination with something else, like yours did. In the combo you were given, I believe the Minocycline is used because it is absorbed across the blood brain barrier.

merylg

I have tried adding 500 mg Azith once a week to daily (Doxy 200 mg + Nilstat).

The addition of Azith was too much for me to tolerate. Initial strong effect on gut lining along with some gut pain. Could live with that but not the overall increase in inflammation.

I also tried Azith without Doxy. Still too potent.

Have also found Minocycline on it's own gave me too much head/brain swelling sensation. Plus lot of sun sensitivity. Plus increased attacks of Shingles. Interesting ://

(Treating chronic Mycoplasma infection)

Hip

Hip, as it´s in the Lyme forum I believe the poster is asking in regard to Lyme. Of course, if you think that ME is Lyme then the thread is relevant, but unless I am wrong you are an Enterovirus guy, not a Lyme guy.

Ah, I did not spot it was in the Lyme forum.

Though it's possible azithromycin might have some benefits for Lyme, like it does with ME/CFS, beyond its antimicrobial effects.

xrayspex

meryl- is interesting worsened shingles--zmax helped my pain but some chelitis and unidentified dermatitis stuff triggered by chelitis gets worse with it

wonder mechanism why