• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

zithromax/azithromyocin experiences?

xrayspex

hi, I am curious what effects you may have had from taking this, for whatever reason you took it. I just took it recently, briefly, well 2 x a zpak within a month or so---for first time took it in my life. I found a side effect was decrease in some spinal pain so am intrigued, although it seems to worsen fatigue in some ways but after the first course of it the fatigue wore off after about a week and then it seemed my brain was sharper....I am hoping the fatigue wears off this 2nd time too.....!

bertiedog

I had a 5 day course only last week to treat a bad throat/sinus infection and didn't feel good all the time I was on it but that was because of the infection I would think. However since finishing the course I have been the best I have been for nearly 15 years, I have had 8 consecutive days where I have walked around the 8000 steps daily, even up to 9500 on one day with no PEM, something I haven't got near to since monitoring my steps since last September and also for a period last year. Last September my average number of steps was around 5500.

It makes me wonder whether it has had some benefit on the fact I was diagnosed with lyme disease last year and started a herbal protocol from last August. I had gradual improvements in well being and ability to do physical stuff. All was going very well until I picked up this infection after a 6 week period of prolonged stress which thankfully has stopped now. I didn't respond to high dose Penicillin but responded within hours to the Azithro.

This is the second time I have had a course of Azithro but I didn't get the benefits after that I have had this time, but of course I hadn't been on 7 months of herbal treatment then!

Pam

Valentijn

hi, I am curious what effects you may have had from taking this, for whatever reason you took it. I just took it recently, briefly, well 2 x a zpak within a month or so---for first time took it in my life. I found a side effect was decrease in some spinal pain so am intrigued, although it seems to worsen fatigue in some ways but after the first course of it the fatigue wore off after about a week and then it seemed my brain was sharper....I am hoping the fatigue wears off this 2nd time too.....!
Have you been tested for Lyme? A short course of azithromycin can kill some of it off, which would trigger some worsening symptoms (such as hypotension, which might be experienced as fatigue) during the treatment.

I was on it in IV form for 6 weeks, and felt better than normal afterward. I've also just been on it in oral form for the past two months. I've got Lyme and Bartonella, and the Bartonella treatment hasn't really started yet - so I'm really not sure how I'll be doing when done treating for both.

xrayspex

here is some more info about my curiosity about this in another thread, my post from today tells about zpak part. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-cheneys-thoughts-on-heart.36771/#post-583850
thaniks for your responses. just doing 2 courses of it at beginning and end of march tho seemed like it really messed with gut--i have been taking s boulaardi and probitioics like crazy. i would be afraid to take it daily for weeks or months. i had bad experience with erythomyocin in 89 long story short its related to me getting cfs. but zpak safer, except of course unless you get heart attack :) and i did scared about that this last course of it cus got some weird middle of nite palpitations wakeups and o2 hunger. but i am hoping once it clears out more i will be left with more of just the good effects.
of course when it wears off more my tooth might hurt more too (postphoning root canal)

no test for lyme but wonder
or
cpn chlamydia pneuonia wonder about that too

bertiedog

@xrayspex I didn't get any real gut issues with the Azithro but I did take 2 probiotics daily and continue to do so. Actually I had a few minor gut issues before I was on it so 2 days ago I took 150 mg Flucanazole just in case but 9 days after taking the Azithro my gut seems pretty good.

Have you ever checked whether you have bad bacteria in your gut because when I did the last Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis I had quite a lot of bad bacteria. It can be confusing cos you end up thinking its a yeast issue whereas it could be the bacteria issue.

Pam

xrayspex

Pam yes I did do that test about 5 years ago and it did show I hAD issues there, I made an appt with doc who did that for early may to be reminded how to treat that. i did a treatment natural supps she gave me then. what do you recommend for it?

bertiedog

@xrayspex Over a long period of time I took natural supplements made by Nutri here in the UK called Nutrispore, also took Grapefruit Seed and Berberine from then and more recently some Uva Ursi for a short period and for a couple of months Oregano Oil. All the time I was taking probiotics too.

This all got my gut in good shape until I had 6 weeks of prolonged stress when again my gut started playing up (rumblings and rollings) but since a course of Penicillin and Azithromycin for a throat infection it has settled down pretty well. I should also mention I have been taking the Cowden protocol since last September which is to kill off borrelia and that also has been going great.

I am the best I have been in 20 years but not sure how long it will last!

Pam

xrayspex

thanks for the info, good to know!
i wondered if the capsule form of zithromax was better than the pink tablets--ever notice a difference with brand?