Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Zinn, Zinn, Jason: Intrinsic Functional Hypoconnectivity in Core Neurocognitive Networks

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by mango, Feb 13, 2016.

1. viggster

viggster Senior Member

EEG's are very inexpensive & take 3 minutes to complete.

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

That's great. However, if you read the methodology of this study, I'm quite sure it took more than 3 mins per patient. This is not standard EEG.

3. CarrieK

CarrieK Guest

Hi. I have a few brief comments. 1) EEGs are way more inexpensive than any other form of imaging, 2) they do just take 3 minutes, 3) qEEG, which is what this is, is not neurology or part of it, 4) EVERYTHING out there has t
    Adreno, thanks for posting these serious questions. Structural connectivity is like the street connecting two locations, functional connectivity is the correlation between changes in the two locations and effective connectivity measures the direction and magnitude of the flow of people that travel between the two locations. That is how the networks operate.

MEMum and Woolie like this.
  4. CarrieK

CarrieK Guest

It is interesting that today only QEEG is capable of providing reliable estimates of all three levels of connectivity. fMRI and DTI and MRI are not currently capable of doing this and given the nature of electricity these other neuroimaging methods are unlikely to provide all three measures in the future.

Woolie likes this.
  5. CarrieK

CarrieK Guest

Given that some on this forum are obviously scientists themselves, they may find this interesting; others may like it as well. EEG and LORETA measures of brain connectivity correlate highly with the Catani and De Shotten DTI atlas of the human brain. DTI is structural MRI and reveals the actual fiber systems. Thus, EEG functional connectivity (functional networks) also includes structural connectivity which is the infrastructure upon which information flows . EEG is capable of measuring the structural reality of a street connecting the parking lot to the sports stadium, the reality that the connection is functional and not blocked and an estimate of the number and direction of people going from the parking lot to the stadium or from the stadium to the parking lot.

Currently, only QEEG is capable of providing reliable estimates of all three levels of connectivity. fMRI and DTI and MRI are not currently capable of doing this and given the nature of electricity these other neuroimaging methods are unlikely to provide all three measures in the future. This is why the Zinns used qEEG/LORETA.

MEMum and Woolie like this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks for info, @CarrieK! Loreta is new to me and I'm finding it very interesting.
    But surely, any measure of functional connectivity between two regions will depend on the strength of white matter pathways connecting these areas (as identified using DTI), because strong structural connections make possible the efficient neural communication that characterises connectivity. So they'll be strongly correlated, regardless of whether you measure functional connectivity using fMRI or EEG. But you can't then say that your measure of functional connectivity is therefore a measure of structural connectivity. Its still a measure of functional connectivity. Its still an empirical question how that relates to structural aspects of white matter tracts.

Or am I missing something?

7. viggster

viggster Senior Member

Nope. 3 minutes of EEG and then the qEEg/LORETA software instantly showed the analysis and the Zinn's explained it to me and gave me a printout. All over in 10-15 minutes.

8. adreno

adreno PR activist

Well that does sound impressive! What's the state of your brain, if I may ask?

9. viggster

viggster Senior Member

They were so excited by how typically abnormal my brain activity was that they were practically wringing their hands.

Silencio, Woolie, alex3619 and 6 others like this.
  10. adreno

adreno PR activist

Well, I hope this leads to something useful in the future.

MEMum likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.