• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc and P5P Benefits and Dosage

arx

I have a few questions regarding the above. I have been looking into zinc deficiency,copper toxicity and pyroluria for some days now. I took 50 mg of elemental zinc(in zinc acetate form) last night and did feel a bit better. So I want to try zinc and p5p for some days.

1. I need dosage suggestions. How much zinc and p5p should I try out daily, and how much is safe to take?

2. I have zinc acetate form.I've read that picolinate is the best. Will acetate do the job?

Thanks!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I think how much is zinc safe to take depends on who you talk to. I read 'somewhere' that 50mg/day was the maximum safe dose, but 80 mg/day has been recommended to people with macular degeneration. This is definitely a start low, go slow supplement. It often upsets the digestive system. I find I am least apt to have a problem with it if I take it with a full meal which includes a digestive enzyme pill and am, and remain, well hydrated.

No clue on the P5P.

Rand56

I've never taken the acetate version before so I have no anecdotal report on that but I can attest to the fact that zinc picolinate must be absorbed well..for me atleast. Prior to taking the picolinate I was taking zinc citrate. I liked the citrate because it didn't upset my stomach, unlike Opti-Zinc <zinc monomethionine> which I had taken in the past that did upset my stomach. When I started the picolinate, I started to urinate more frequently with no real increase in fluid intake. Zinc is an aromatase inhibitor and with my estradiol levels being a bit on the high side, I figured it must be absorbing well to get this effect.

Rand

SB_1108

I take somewhere between 10mg - 60mg a day of P5P. Typically I just take the 10mg, but I have a bottle of just P5P (50mg) that I take every few days... just to make sure I keep my levels up.

adreno

PR activist
I take 45-60 mg zinc and 25 mg P5P. I was taking 15-30 mg zinc for a long time, but found I did much better on the higher doses. I take zinc carnosine and glycinate.