• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zantac making me very drowsy, any different alternatives?

Ocean

I get the most noticeable flushing on my cheeks and over the bridge of my nose and, of course, my ears, but I feel the burning/flushing all over. I didn't realize it was histamine related until the dermatologist showed me that I had dermatographism.

If you google or do a search for NeuroProtek here, you can find out quite a bit about it. The only side effect I'm getting from it is pain in my shins and left thigh bone. Since I'm not reacting in any other way, I'm assuming that stabilizing the mast cells in my bone marrow must be doing something positive. I'm only taking a pill or two a day. I haven't come across any masto patients taking more than a few pills a day despite the weight recommendations listed on the bottles. They say you need a trial of several months to really test it, but some have noticed benefits right away.

Camas, has nueroprotek reduced your flushing? I was doing very well on zantac but eventually my stomach stopped being able to tolerate it and now I've had terrible flushing and sickness episodes several times a day every day again. The zantac was a lifesaver but began to cause a terrible stomach ache for me. I am really unhappy about it, I was finally doing better!

camas

Camas, has nueroprotek reduced your flushing? I was doing very well on zantac but eventually my stomach stopped being able to tolerate it and now I've had terrible flushing and sickness episodes several times a day every day again. The zantac was a lifesaver but began to cause a terrible stomach ache for me. I am really unhappy about it, I was finally doing better!

Ocean, I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with zantac. I believe neuroprotek helped my flushing but I've since switched to the herb feverfew which is about 1/5th the cost and has some pretty potent mast cell stabilizing properties. It seems to work a little better for me, although a lot of people swear by neuroprotek. I believe there are some natural H2 blockers too, like Holy Basil which you can get in the form of a tea.

I'm finding that zyrtec, vitamin k2, and avoiding high histamine foods helps, too. Most of the flushing I get now comes from overheating -- either by moving around too fast doing housework, or staying out in the heat too long while gardening. It's a struggle keeping these mast cells in line!

Thinktank

camas, i ordered Neuroprotek a week ago. Do you notice any GI discomfort when taking it?
I'd really to start neuroprotek asap but fear it might irritate my already severe inflamed GI tract.

Ocean

Ocean, I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with zantac. I believe neuroprotek helped my flushing but I've since switched to the herb feverfew which is about 1/5th the cost and has some pretty potent mast cell stabilizing properties. It seems to work a little better for me, although a lot of people swear by neuroprotek. I believe there are some natural H2 blockers too, like Holy Basil which you can get in the form of a tea.

I'm finding that zyrtec, vitamin k2, and avoiding high histamine foods helps, too. Most of the flushing I get now comes from overheating -- either by moving around too fast doing housework, or staying out in the heat too long while gardening. It's a struggle keeping these mast cells in line!
That's great to hear. Any side effects from the feverfew?

camas

camas, i ordered Neuroprotek a week ago. Do you notice any GI discomfort when taking it? I'd really to start neuroprotek asap but fear it might irritate my already severe inflamed GI tract.

I didn't have any GI discomfort, but of course we all react differently. They do recommend starting slowly -- like one pill a day for the first week, two a day for the second week , and so on. I think most aren't taking more than a few pills a day despite what it says on the bottle about the number of pills needed per weight. You could probably even just squeeze out 1/2 a capsule a day for the first week to see how you react. Good luck!

camas

That's great to hear. Any side effects from the feverfew?

I haven't had any problems with it, but that's just me! I have read that the fresh herb can blister your mouth, so I've just been taking the Source Naturals Extract pill once or twice a day.

Thinktank

I didn't have any GI discomfort, but of course we all react differently. They do recommend starting slowly -- like one pill a day for the first week, two a day for the second week , and so on. I think most aren't taking more than a few pills a day despite what it says on the bottle about the number of pills needed per weight. You could probably even just squeeze out 1/2 a capsule a day for the first week to see how you react. Good luck!

I will try that. I'm changing my diet into an elemental diet so if i can mix the powder into the shakes then that shouldn't be a problem.
How soon did you notice relief from neuroprotek? Is it instant like with antihistamines?
I've read some mixed reviews about it, some mentioning instant relief and others, especially autistic kids noticing cognitive improvement after a few weeks of usage.

camas

I will try that. I'm changing my diet into an elemental diet so if i can mix the powder into the shakes then that shouldn't be a problem.
How soon did you notice relief from neuroprotek? Is it instant like with antihistamines?
I've read some mixed reviews about it, some mentioning instant relief and others, especially autistic kids noticing cognitive improvement after a few weeks of usage.

The capsules are in an olive oil base, so are a bit messy to squeeze out, but it can be done. My main improvement on neuroprotek was softer skin and less anxiety and it happened within a week or so. I just didn't feel like the very small improvement I made justified the cost. I've really had better results with feverfew which is an inexpensive mast cell inhibitor, among other things. It's a pretty amazing herb and prolific weed if ends up in your garden. :)