• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Z drugs increase slow wave sleep?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
We get told that benzo's and z drugs negatively affect slow wave sleep but do they? I was just reading on Wiki about these drugs and found this
In EEG studies, zopiclone significantly increases the energy of the beta frequency band and shows characteristics of high-voltage slow waves, desynchronization of hippocampal theta waves and an increase in the energy of the delta frequency band. Zopiclone increases both stage 2 and slow wave sleep (SWS), while zolpidem, an α1-selective compound, increases only SWS and causes no effect on stage 2 sleep. Zopiclone is less selective to the α1 site and has higher affinity to the α2 site than zaleplon. Zopiclone is therefore very similar pharmacologically to benzodiazepines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopiclone

The sleep med nitrazepam which is a typical benzo is said to decrease slow wave sleep but has increases in stage 2 sleep. We are told we need slow wave sleep to get growth hormone secretion but in wiki is say this
Both low dose (5 mg) and high dose (10 mg) of nitrazepam significantly increases growth hormone levels in humans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrazepam

What the, who is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Might be a reason why i have found zolpiclone and zolpidem helpful and get better quality sleep then traditional benzo's. It would be interesting to find more research on this.

cheers!!

xks201

My experience is that benzos increase GH. When my GH levels get high I wake up with tingling wrists. When I took 1mg Klonopin this happened. When I take high dose GH this happens. also my eyes light up brightly the next day after a GH injection.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
My experience is that benzos increase GH. When my GH levels get high I wake up with tingling wrists. When I took 1mg Klonopin this happened. When I take high dose GH this happens. also my eyes light up brightly the next day after a GH injection.

Interesting.
I think any sleep is better then no sleep too which is how my sleep was/is

xks201

People get carpal tunnel taking too much gh. Ill take any solid sleep any day