• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yummy meal that could become a healthy staple

Daffodil

my aunt, who is a retired anesthesiologist and homeopath, always tells me to eat something similar to this because she knows how I hate apples! looks yummy...

now I want apple pie :(

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I wonder if applesauce could be used in place of baked apples. That would be easier.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have yet to cook this... maybe today. I wonder... cooked fruit is better than raw in any way? Like, digestibility-wise?

NK17

Thanks for sharing this link.

Now that I've read the article I suddenly remember that my paternal grandmother used to eat this very same stewed apples and prunes every single day of her life.

And guess what? She lived up to her late nineties ;)

Daffodil

i went out and ate apple pie last night :( after eating "clean" for a month [i blame this thread lol]

but man was it good

i told them no ice cream but they accidentally brought it anyway so i had to eat that too. bad news for me haha

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
This is exactly what my herbalist kept suggesting I eat when my stomach woes were very bad. I am lucky because we have a large amount of apple trees in our orchard that are all organic and we cant eat them all before they rot, so September to November we spend a lot of time cooking up apples with cinnamon and stacking it in the freezer for the winter. The kids love it mixed in with porridge and I eat it on its own with plain yoghurt and a couple of capsules of probiotics mixed in.

Now I can see the herbalist was right all along about what I should be eating

Justy

rosie26

Looks like I will be buying an apple turnover with cream this morning when I go out now @Daffodil lol My mouth is watering just thinking about it:D I do like pastry - but I am good and don't go overboard on it. Otherwise I would be huge.............

Apples are great raw or stewed. If I could remember I would eat an apple a day - I think they are beneficial on the intestinal track. Seem to be calming, soothing for me.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Rosie apples are very gut friendly indeed! Cannot find the abstract but in fact they increase bifido counts and what not. I am exactly the opposite btw!! I cannot stop eating fruit, no problem remembering, but controlling myself. Sometimes I wonder if I am mind controlled by Candida Albicans or somethin´:D

I cannot digest apples raw it seems though :( That´s why cooked probably will be better.

rosie26

:DBeyond, I remember in my 20's reading an article about all that was in an apple - loads of good stuff. I love fruit too. If I had my own home I would have every favorite fruit tree on the property. I would even get rid of any other non-fruit bearing tree (except for cherry blossom tree-I love cherry blossom trees) just so I had room for more fruit trees lol.
I love the thought of being able to give surplus fruit away too.

I think I might start having a different breakfast soon. Muesli with stewed apples, perhaps some stewed prunes too for added nutrition and a tablespoon of strawberry yoghurt to sweeten up along with some milk. :D

justy

@rosie26 you are welcome to come and have some of my surplus apples - we have so many we cant eat them quick enough - I do give them away and sold some at the health food shop a couple years ago - sometimes the skins are a bit scabby so not always good for selling. We have 18 apple trees that we inherited P5020794.JPG P5020791.JPG P5180023.JPG with the property - all overgrown and no idea of the types. We have one small tree that did not grow straight and so is completely bent over - they all have canker too, but still produce great apples - from September when we have small soft ones with red flesh too October with the large green/red ones that can be eaten or cooked to the tiny, thick skinned red ones that come after a frost in November.

we planted some plum and pears trees about 4 years ago so that we wouldn't only have apples, but they are not producing yet. We also have lots of blackcurrant bushes, raspberries, redcurrants and gooseberries - oh and wild strawberries.

rosie26

Love your place:whistle: @justy

Wish I was able to come over lol:D

Can you grow peaches over there too. They would be nice.

justy

Love your place:whistle: @justy

Wish I was able to come over lol:D

Can you grow peaches over there too. They would be nice.

I would love to try and grow some peaches. It gets pretty cold here though in the winter, whilst I think peaches are quite hardy they don't like cold wet conditions and we get a lot of that!!

My plan is to try and grow some as an espalier against a warm sunny wall and in the winter put a frame over the wall to protect from too much rain. It is a long term project of mine to have a non hardy area of the garden that I could cover up in fleece and rainwear, otherwise it's too much work to have non hardy plants dotted about the garden. I will have globe artichokes in this part of the garden too and mulch then thickly with straw in the winter.

I say I will do all these things, but actually I will envisage them, plan them and then my husband will do all the digging and moving and weeding and then I will stand and point at where I want things to go. This has worked pretty well over the last few years. I also now take my wheelchair outside to pick blackcurrants in the summer as standing to do it and all the bending was so exhausting and didn't leave me any energy to cook them.

Do you have a garden? what fruit do you have growing near you? I am so jealous of your climate, when we lived in NZ we had a lemon tree and a tamarillo (never saw those before!) When my husband lived on Waihiki years ago he had a grapefruit tree and an avocado tree.

TC,
Justy.

NK17

Oh Justy your orchard/garden is really beautiful, just like a corner of paradise on earth!

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us and your future planting plans.

You make me feel more alive ;).

I think many of us with ME with all our physical limitations have a special way of looking at Nature and all it's glorious manifestations.

It's a way of survival, some may call it spirituality, I call it being Human ;)

Even in my darkest of hours I know that I can find solace in simple and natural things such as watching a tree blooming again or tasting the apple compote that I've managed to cook ;).

I also love to make plans, but most of the times I can't act upon and my backyard is very small and the dirt is disastrously hard and clayish, so hard to till and toil.

Espalier's fruit trees are so beautiful and because they grow against walls can be a good option for your climate.

By the way peaches are my favorite summer fruit and I absolutely adore raw artichokes thinly sliced and dressed in lemon juice, olive oil and topped with shaved parmesan cheese!

Too bad I live in California otherwise I'd love to come visit you and share some of your orchard's bounty.

Seven7

Seven
I put some water, add stevia to taste, add cinnamon about 1t, add vanilla to taste, sometimes I add nutmeg. When done, plate and put some walnuts on top. I do this about everyday. I do the same to peaches and It is delicious. You can do strawberries (add a squeeze of lemon for not as citric fruits...).