• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

YouTube video of 'All Fall Down for ME' demo, London 12 May 2013

jeffrez

Great video, thanks, and a big thank you to everyone who participated on our behalf.

The more I see the term M.E., the more I seriously dislike it. That's no more descriptive of what's really going on than CFS. CFS in fact I feel is a better term, even - not that that one's particularly great, either, but at least it doesn't point to something that might not even exist in most of us.

It doesn't help that M.E. can double as "me," i.e., as in something to use as ammo against us for being "self-centered in our illness beliefs," etc. I can only imagine some of the psychologizers looking at those signs saying "Help ME" and laughing to themselves at how perfect it was that we would employ an acronym that could be seen as referring back to ourselves.

If I told my docs I had "encephalomyelitis," they would laugh me out of the office even more than they would probably like to do now. Maybe it's a UK/US thing, but I think we need some new terminology, asap!

Ember

The more I see the term M.E., the more I seriously dislike it.That's no more descriptive of what's really going on than CFS.
ME involves not just a name, but also case definitions that describe something different from CFS case definitions.

Misfit Toy

I agree jeffrez. I don't like the name M.E. it's too late. The name CFS has been around in the states for over 20 years. No one knows what M.E is. I have to explain even more. When I say, it's CFS...they are more likely to know what that is.

jeffrez

ME involves not just a name, but also case definitions that describe something different from CFS case definitions.

I understand that, but my point is more about the term itself. Even something basic like PEM Syndrome would be better than ME - imho!