• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xanax as Replacement for Valium

paul80

I Occasionally take Diazepam to help me get through bad days but i've not been able to get them lately though so i am wondering if Xanax is good as a replacement? or do some people like one but can't take the other?

caledonia

They're both benzodiazepams.

Xanax has a short half life (4 hours). I believe Valium has a longer half life. Klonopin/clonezapam has a longer half life (about 8 hours), so that might be more similar.

I believe Valium is the mildest/least powerful form of diazepams - these other two are stronger. You can always cut a pill in half or quarters to get an equivalent dose.

If you're a fast metabolizer like me, you'll do better on the longer acting varieties. I've taken both Xanax and clonazepam and do better with clonazepam.

This tapering chart has info on equivalents when switching from one type of benzo to another.
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

The benzo tapering group Benzo Buddies or the Surviving Antidepressants forum may also have helpful info.

Rvanson

I Occasionally take Diazepam to help me get through bad days but i've not been able to get them lately though so i am wondering if Xanax is good as a replacement? or do some people like one but can't take the other?

Valium does nothing for me. I am lucky to have a doctor who prescribes Xanax or my insomnia would be horrible.