• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WSJ: More Evidence Found of Biological Basis to CFS

Antares in NYC

Make this the FOURTH report in major US media outlets on the disease in the same week.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/more-ev...-basis-to-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-1425063603
More Evidence Found of Biological Basis to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Discovery may help identify and treat patients earlier

By Amy Dockser Marcus
Feb. 27, 2015 2:00 p.m. ET
In what is perhaps the most significant evidence yet that chronic fatigue syndrome has a biological basis, researchers said they found an immune system signature that is present in newly diagnosed patients but not in healthy people.

The pattern, published on Friday in a paper in Science Advances, wasn’t seen in people who had been ill for more than three years, but the discovery may help identify and treat patients earlier.
(...)

Full article requires subscription

halcyon

I wonder if Sir Wessely and the Oxford school have anything to say...
Michael Clarke, professor of psychological medicine at the University of Oxford said that the findings showed some patients with ME/CFS have “an immune abnormality” and called them “potentially interesting”. However he urged “great caution”, adding that the type of study used could often throw up results that were not repeated in later research.

oceiv

I got access to the article by googling the headline

More Evidence Found of Biological Basis to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

What did you think of the article? Good? Bad? Accurate? Mistakes? Etc. We're having a discussion on the best articles about this study in another thread.

Gingergrrl

I think many people skim these papers and just read the titles and these titles are solid stating that CFS is a real biological disorder. My mom and sister keep emailing these articles (they already know the disease is real) but they are hoping the articles help spread the info to non-believers.