• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WSJ Article on Lyndonville, New York Outbreak with Dr. Bell

Ecoclimber

T
he Puzzle of Chronic Fatigue:

For 20 years, a doctor in upstate New York has been trying to prove that an outbreak of the strange syndrome in his community was caused by a virus. Now new evidence is reopening the case.
By Amy Dockser Marcus

Enid

Thank you very much for posting Ecoclimber. These things help us so much in the UK too.

toddm1960

Makes current news look like its coming form the same playbook. The CDC can't find it, a bunch of negitive studies and funding dries up.......the retrovirus goes away. How many times will the government get away with this? Currently they're working on #2.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Would it have hurt for the CDC to exactly duplicate Dr. DeFrietus protocol just ot see if they could find it. Obviously it hurt their pride very much since their comment was "says the CDC should have been able to find the virus following their own protocol." Maybe they should have, but would it have hurt to have duplicated her protocol? These people work for the tax payer and if our government needs a good deficit reduction idea!! They have one now!

Ecoclimber

Since I thought it centered around XMRV this would be the best spot as a few people have noticed it. There might be some follow up work tied to this xmrv article so that is why I decided to post it here as I may add on it concerning work being down with xmrv in relationship to this article. I don't think that it's going to be that much of an issue having it in both places. I'll talk to Cort about it.

Joopiter76

I think some things are wrong in this article. Claiming a recovery rate of 31% within 5 years and 48 within 10 years is not clear to me as the recovery rate seems to be 3-10% according to studies. and its also wrong to say there is no test (according to a statement of Dr. Bell) there is the ATP Profile test which identified mitochondrial dysfunction in all CFS patiens, there is the VO2 Max test, there is the RNAse L test..... We trip up ourselfs if we repeat there were no test, there is, but they are not widely used as they could be used.
ahhh at the end they say a patient is considerd recovered when he has still symptoms and problems geting aut of bed ????? What kind of recovery is that?