• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI Official Statement on UK Study

Summer

Official Statement from the Whittemore Peterson Institute Regarding UK Study

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Frankie Vigil
R&R Partners for
Whittemore Peterson Institute
775-336-4555
frankie.vigil@rrpartners.com

Official Statement from the Whittemore Peterson Institute Regarding UK Study

The Whittemore Peterson Institute (WPI) has reviewed the paper entitled Failure to Detect the Novel Retrovirus XMRV in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This study did not duplicate the rigorous scientific techniques used by WPI, the National Cancer Institute and the Cleveland Clinic, therefore it cannot be considered a replication study nor can the results claim to be anything other than a failure not just to detect XMRV, but also a failure to suggest meaningful results.

The scientific methods used by WPI are very exact and require specific techniques to ensure accuracy. Differences in techniques employed by Erlwein et al. not only explain their failure to replicate the WPI study, but also render the conclusions meaningless. These differences include, but are not limited to the following:

1) blood sample volumes and processing;
2) patient criteria/population differences;
3) number and type of tests done to assure accurate results, including white blood cell culture;
4) use of a molecular plasmid control in water versus a positive blood sample; and
5) different primer sequences and amplification protocol used to find the virus, which were not validated by a clinical control.

The WPI study was published after six months of rigorous review and three independent lab confirmations, proving that contamination had not taken place and that infectious XMRV was present in 67 percent of CFS patients diagnosed according to the Canadian and Fukuda criteria. In contrast, this latest study was published online after only three days of review. Significant and critical questions remain as to the status of patient samples used in the UK study as those samples may have been confused with fatigued psychiatric patients, since the UK has relegated CFS patients to psychiatric care and not traditional medical practices.

Little is known about the prevalence of XMRV world-wide, much less the incidence of XMRV in ME/CFS or prostate cancer emphasizes Dr. Judy Mikovits. WPI and its NCI collaborators are actively engaged with international research teams to investigate these important questions.

WPI does not recommend the use of anti-retroviral drugs that have yet to be proven to be effective in treating XMRV infection. However, several large pharmaceutical companies have expressed interest in developing anti-retroviral and immune modulating drugs that will effectively treat XMRV associated diseases.

WPI looks forward to the results of other scientific groups around the world, serious about replicating its scientific results, by using the same techniques as WPI and its collaborators. The fact that XMRV was detected in 67 percent of the CFS samples in the U.S. study determined a significant association between XMRV and CFS, demanding a much more serious inquiry by responsible health agencies around the world as to the cause of this debilitating disease.

K

Knackered

This is great, thanks for that. :Retro smile:

I still feel pretty bad about the failure of the UK study though, I have a feeling it could set us back here in the UK. :(

Summer

This is great, thanks for that. :Retro smile:

I still feel pretty bad about the failure of the UK study though, I have a feeling it could set us back here in the UK. :(

It's really so early, and the WPI has ongoing studies, and I think they sounded strong in their response because of ongoing studies. Even at of the time of the Science paper publication, Judy Mikovits said the following:

"We also have data showing that the virus attacks the human immune system," said Dr Mikovits. She is testing a further 500 blood samples gathered from chronic fatigue patients diagnosed in London.

"The same percentages are holding up," she said.

LINK

calzy

WPI is not sharing their complete protocal, so it is impossible to replicate the study. This was straight from the "horses mouth". They will release info once they are finished with their study. Im told they need to protect their investment, and i say Bravo! They will help us in the long run.

Wayne

Hi Summer,

Thanks for posting this. I'm happy to see this has a thread of its own, as I think WPI's response is an important story. I was encouraged by the words WPI used, and probably even more encouraged by their "combative" tone. I really get the impression these people are the ones we've been waiting for to get feisty and REALLY go to bat for us.

Regards, Wayne

MEKoan

I agree with Wayne that we need those who would help us to be feisty! If those in our corner are too willing to roll over and say uncle when the going gets rough we are well and truly... ah... sunk.

The going is already rough; we need clear, unafraid willingness to seek out and stand up for truth.

From a Buddhist perspective, abetting someone who would do you harm is not to be done if, for no other reason, than you help generate negative karma, as a result of the harm that comes to you, for he who would harm you. Contributing to anyone's load of karma is not a compassionate act. Let noone harm you for their sake as well as for yours.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I agree with Wayne that we need those who would help us to be feisty!

Let noone harm you for their sake as well as for yours.

Feisty is my middle name. ;)

When I'm not napping or meditating, I'm known for some serious instigating.

I've spoken with Frankie Vigil at WPI, and they are SO on it!

bullybeef

I have just read the following on facebook.

A commenter asked:

I can understand if certain information has to be confidential, but I’m sure we can make SOME info available to prevent what happened yesterday from happening again. We need to make patients aware of what exactly is being done where. For more than one reason.

Andrea (Whittemore) responded on behalf of the WPI:

spoke with President ! WPI working on what we can say.

Looks like more good news to stir the pot.