• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI ethics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Veritas Aequitas

The WPI and their XMRV "discovery" is not all that it seems to be. Please, dig a little deeper people...

Who holds the patent for the reagents used in WPI's initial XMRV study? Why have the reagents from the study not been shared with other researchers who are attempting to replicate the findings?

The announcement of XMRV discovery was very well choreographed. 10/08/09: Science XMRV publication; 10/29/09: Dr. Peterson CFSAC presentation; 11/05/09: WPI press release announcing that VIP Dx is offering a lab test for XMRV; Mid-November 2009: WPI changed their website to state that none of the 101 patient cohort were from Petersons bio bank, and that none of the 101 patients had cancer. At least 4 patients from the Science study had cancer, according to Petersons CFSAC presentation (WPI-1118, WPI-1125, WPI-1150, WPI-1199). How many other patients had cancer? WPI states: Blood samples from the WPI repository were chosen at random and there were no patients chosen with lymphoma or mention of lymphoma in this study. Another preliminary study was done at a later date that had nothing to do with the XMRV Science publication. (http://www.wpinstitute.org/research/research_biobank.html) If WPI isnt forthcoming about this, how reliable is the info about the patient cohort or any other details about the study?

Why didnt WPI disclose that Harvey Whittemore is the sole owner of VIP Dx, and has been since 2005? Why doesnt WPI disclose that Judy Mikovits is the Vice President of VIP Dx, or that Vincent Lombardi is the Treasurer of VIP Dx? Clearly this is a conflict of interest and unethical. All parties involved have a financial motivation, and this has been cleverly hidden from the patient community.

Fact: Harvey Whittemore owns 100% of VIP Dx, (also known as Redlabs USA), and was the company President until 12/29/09.

Fact: Judy Mikovits is the Vice President of VIP Dx.

Fact: Vincent Lombardi founded VIP Dx in 2004, and sold it to Harvey Whittemore in 2005. He remains the company Treasurer. (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=3HqeF%2fFCg2b8fQKoGUKjpg%3d%3d&nt7=0)

Why has WPI and the Whittemore family not been transparent about their financial interest in XMRV? All of Harveys cronies are officers of WPI, VIP Dx, XMRV Diagnostics, and XMRV Holding Corporation. WPI Vice President, Michael Hillerby, is one of Harvey Whittemores cronies and is Secretary and Treasurer of XMRV Holding Corporation (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=Hq0jXLdsqHTjwzedr32I5w%3d%3d).

Fact: Harvey Whitemore founded XMRV Diagnostics, LLC on 7/03/08 (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=jpuvh8GU2C0X6t5ANvP6ZQ%3d%3d&nt7=0).

Fact: Harvey Whitemore founded XMRV Holding Corporation on 7/30/09 (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=Hq0jXLdsqHTjwzedr32I5w%3d%3d&nt7=0).

Please people, do your homework. We have too much to lose

Kati

Patient in training
WPI is a not for profit organization that aims at getting ME patient the help they need, including the daughter of the founders, Mr and Mrs Whittemore.

I am not totally sure what this attack is all about but I find it quite insulting personally.

V

Veritas Aequitas

It's not an attack at all. Wake up people!

I've heard the sob story about the Whittemore's, and how they're in this to help us. Maybe they have the bst of intentions, however Harvey Whittemore built his $2 billion business empire by being a shrewd businessman.

Why solicit funds if you have over $2 billion in assets? If my daugter was sick with CFS, and I had unlimited funds, I would have paid for a cure years ago...

anne_likes_red

It's not an attack at all. Wake up people!

I've heard the sob story about the Whittemore's, and how they're in this to help us. Maybe they have the bst of intentions, however Harvey Whittemore built his $2 billion business empire by being a shrewd businessman.

Why solicit funds if you have over $2 billion in assets? If my daugter was sick with CFS, and I had unlimited funds, I would have paid for a cure years ago...

Years ago there was a cure?
I think you're right I do need to wake up and do my homework...enough of the Shenanigans in the Community Lounge for me!!

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
They have shared their reagents with anyone who asked for them. The studies published since the science article did not ask for said reagents. Or contact WPI.

If you can show me how they would make a return on their investments in WPI and VIPdx by doing a few hundred blood tests, I'd like to have you as my accountant.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Years ago there was a cure?
I think you're right I do need to wake up and do my homework...enough of the Shenanigans in the Community Lounge for me!!

Yeah, you didn't hear about it? You just blend up a bunch of money in a food processor and inject it into your veins.

Works like a charm.

Kati

Patient in training
This first post is so insulting for people that work so hard, and for some people that are so gracious with their time ressources and energy when they could enjoy their lives...

V

Veritas Aequitas

They have shared their reagents with anyone who asked for them. The studies published since the science article did not ask for said reagents. Or contact WPI.

How do you know this? How do you know if WPI has cooperated with researchers attempting to replicate the XMRV study?

Stuart

Well, there is little 'truth' or 'justice' in your post. Gotta love those one day wonders. :rolleyes:

Let me see, a family has a sick daughter, they see the best doctor in the country, maybe the world for the illness that has been mismanaged by government agencies, abused by quacks. So all the work this doctor has and is doing tirelessly, (see the article on visiting Dr. Peterson) isn't valid, and the family has ulterior motives they spend millions to gain thousands! ;)

They fund three years work and get to publish in a prestigious science magazine with some of the foremost scientists and health institutions in the field, oh the timing of it all! Oh my they created a nonprofit! :victory:They assemble the components to do the research, not for their daughter or all the hundreds of patients like them they have travelled the country advocating for, but for??? :confused:

What was it you claimed?:cool:

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
"The authors of the two UK studies did not attempt to replicate the WPI study. Replication requires that the same technologies be employed. The WPI sent reagents and information to several groups of researchers in an effort to support their replication studies. Neither UK study requested positive control blood, plasma or nucleic acids from the WPI."

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/news_current.html

The HHS Blood XMRV Scientific Research Working Group, and the CDC are known to be using blood and reagents from the WPI also.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
The important thing, veritas is that you'r assertion is just not feasible.

You can quibble over whether this is a lie, or that is a trick. But there's just no money to be made here. They are out of pocket on this and stand no chance of making a profit.

I understand you being cynical. I am cynical too, people suck! 99 out of 100 people really would gut you if they could make a dollar for it. But theres just no dollar to be made here.

Sorry.

Kati

Patient in training
Dr Mikovits is more than happy to share samples, reagent recipes and knowledge to anyone who contacts her. Heck she gave her e-mail address in a webinar and also in the Science paper.

I am not sure who you are, and whether you have been sick for as long as some of the members here, but the WPI is the best thing that can happen to the ME community ever.

I would suggest you do your research and read "Osler's Web" by Hillary Johnson. Please learn about the discrimination, the lies and deceit, the disrespect and insults towards patients with ME/CFS. These people have been denied of a decent chance at life, at being parents, at having a good living.

We are lucky to have Mr and Mrs Whittemore to speak up for us, Dr Peterson who's been relentless at serving the best he could and advance the research, and Dr Mikovits to research what may well be the real cause of the disease.

Lesley

The Whittemore's have nothing to gain from VIP Dx. http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/WPI_pressrel_011410.pdf

In exchange for the non-exclusive license, VIP Dx will pay a royalty to WPI for each test it conducts.

“We structured the licensing contract to be sure that any and all profits that might emerge at VIP Dx from XMRV testing come directly back to WPI to benefit the research program” said Whittemore. Dr. Lombardi is an employee of WPI, and has no personal financial interest in VIP Dx. Likewise, the Whittemore family put their interest in VIP Dx into a trust to benefit WPI.

In case this isn't clear, WPI gets the licensing fees from VIP Dx AND any profits VIP Dx makes from XMRV testing. By putting their interest (stock) in trust for WPI, they have nothing to gain financially from VIP Dx from XMRV testing or anything else.

Oh, and the Whittemores contributed $5 million to WPI. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/giving/12SICK.html?pagewanted=all

I have no problem with criticism of the science, but to attack the motives of people who have given so generously to help those with CFS is awful.

V

Veritas Aequitas

I've been sick for over 20 years. You don't need to tell me about the mistreatment we've all received. That is why I think this is important; instead of following the XMRV bandwagon like sheeple, please educate yourselves. I've read Osler's Web 4 times. I know all too well the tragedies of this illness. But that doesn't mean I will blindly follow the Whittemores because they produced a "discovery". Please do your homework about all involved. Our world is driven by capitalism; is it so strange to think that Harvey Whittemore is not? Yes he has a personal interest, but a tiger doesn't change his stripes...

oerganix

more anti-XMRV spin

The WPI and their XMRV "discovery" is not all that it seems to be. Please, dig a little deeper people...

Who holds the patent for the reagents used in WPI's initial XMRV study? Why have the reagents from the study not been shared with other researchers who are attempting to replicate the findings?

The announcement of XMRV discovery was very well choreographed. 10/08/09: Science XMRV publication; 10/29/09: Dr. Peterson CFSAC presentation; 11/05/09: WPI press release announcing that VIP Dx is offering a lab test for XMRV; Mid-November 2009: WPI changed their website to state that none of the 101 patient cohort were from Petersons bio bank, and that none of the 101 patients had cancer. At least 4 patients from the Science study had cancer, according to Petersons CFSAC presentation (WPI-1118, WPI-1125, WPI-1150, WPI-1199). How many other patients had cancer? WPI states: Blood samples from the WPI repository were chosen at random and there were no patients chosen with lymphoma or mention of lymphoma in this study. Another preliminary study was done at a later date that had nothing to do with the XMRV Science publication. (http://www.wpinstitute.org/research/research_biobank.html) If WPI isnt forthcoming about this, how reliable is the info about the patient cohort or any other details about the study?

Why didnt WPI disclose that Harvey Whittemore is the sole owner of VIP Dx, and has been since 2005? Why doesnt WPI disclose that Judy Mikovits is the Vice President of VIP Dx, or that Vincent Lombardi is the Treasurer of VIP Dx? Clearly this is a conflict of interest and unethical. All parties involved have a financial motivation, and this has been cleverly hidden from the patient community.

Fact: Harvey Whittemore owns 100% of VIP Dx, (also known as Redlabs USA), and was the company President until 12/29/09.

Fact: Vincent Lombardi founded VIP Dx in 2004, and sold it to Harvey Whittemore in 2005. He remains the company Treasurer. (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=3HqeF%2fFCg2b8fQKoGUKjpg%3d%3d&nt7=0)

Why has WPI and the Whittemore family not been transparent about their financial interest in XMRV? All of Harveys cronies are officers of WPI, VIP Dx, XMRV Diagnostics, and XMRV Holding Corporation. WPI Vice President, Michael Hillerby, is one of Harvey Whittemores cronies and is Secretary and Treasurer of XMRV Holding Corporation (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=Hq0jXLdsqHTjwzedr32I5w%3d%3d).

Fact: Harvey Whitemore founded XMRV Diagnostics, LLC on 7/03/08 (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=jpuvh8GU2C0X6t5ANvP6ZQ%3d%3d&nt7=0).

Fact: Harvey Whitemore founded XMRV Holding Corporation on 7/30/09 (http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=Hq0jXLdsqHTjwzedr32I5w%3d%3d&nt7=0).

Please people, do your homework. We have too much to lose[/QUOTE]

Who is WE? In Truth and Fairness, we already know most of the facts you have 'revealed' here, regarding the financing of WPI and VIP. Nothing unethical about them. In addition, all your accusations of unethical behavior by the researchers have also been refuted elsewhere on this forum and others. Why not do YOUR homework before making wild and inflammatory claims?

So far, NO studies have attempted to replicate the WPI study. And the studies that have attempted to refute the WPI study have not resembled it in any significant way, despite claims to the contrary. See here for a well reasoned response to the anti-XMRV spin. http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/2010/02/more-anti-xmrv-spin-and-another-attempt.html

This bloggers idea for why those studies FAILED to find any XMRV: In the early 17th century Galileo carried out a piece of groundbreaking scientific research which seemed to show that for years the authorities had been talking gibberish. The establishment tried to quickly replicate Galileo's results but despite their very best efforts were mysteriously unable to do so.

How do you explain the discrepancy between our results and yours? they asked the astronomer.

"That's easy" replied Galileo "When I look through the telescope I always try to ensure one eye remains open"

kurt

OK, I have also taken some time to conduct research into the backstory of WPI and also some of the details of the XMRV study and also the replication/validation studies, and while these may be some of the facts, I can not agree with the 'spin' which seems very cynical about the Whittemore family's motives. There is no question that we are not being told the 'whole story' but that is just the way business operates. People here probably know by now that I try to look at both sides and was initially very supportive of XMRV but have also tried to point out that we can not just be critical of one side of the debate, so I have tried to analyze WPI and their study when necessary. But this seems a bit over the edge. Anyway, I will attempt to comment on this a bit.

Actually I have heard that WPI has attempted to patent some part of their discovery but do not know what that was, reagents perhaps, or maybe the actual XMRV SNPs they discovered in the CFS cohort. It is possible to patent a new virus, and they call their XMRV a new virus. If XMRV really were as big as HIV, I suppose that could have a billion dollar value. But that value is unproven at this point. IF they really want to solve CFS they will need a LOT of funding and certainly they are aware of the possible ways that can be accomplished, why not issue a patent on something, that happens all the time in research, and is part of what motivates researchers. And that is a big gamble, may or may not be worthwhile. Most patents are worthless.

However, not helping other researchers when they say they do would be unethical. Has that happened? I have heard rumors that some are having trouble getting info from WPI, but don't think we really know, maybe when more validation and replication studies are reported we will get a better idea about that. There are some very large questions about the Science study that remain unanswered.

There is nothing wrong with choreographing a big and somewhat sensational finding like XMRV. Trying to do this in an orderly fashion makes sense. But yes, there have been some inconsistent statements, again, some questions need to be cleared up. I don't think you have to assume that means there is some type of conspiracy, maybe they are a bit overwhelmed.

They did disclose several months ago that some principals of WPI had an interest in VIP Dx, there was a letter on their website about that. This is not an unusual practice, connecting a non profit with a for profit is just one possible business strategy, I have worked with other businesses who have used that approach, I have even used it myself in a research business I owned once, in order to bid on some projects we had to maintain an affiliated non profit corporation.

Please people, do your homework. We have too much to lose

Again, this is not an unusual business practice, and they did make some disclosure, although this is the first I have heard about the holding corporation. Still, that is perfectly legal. Mr Whittemore is a lawyer and I would expect him to use the best possible legal strategies, this is just how he wanted to set things up. So what?

One other important point you may or may not know, the Whittemores have pledged to the CFS community that any profits from VIP Dx will be funneled back to WPI. I think they are very sincere and serious about solving CFS and they have built up a lot of hope in the CFS community and some trust. In some ways WPI has woken up a sleeping giant, millions of CFS patients worldwide who realize we should have a voice. If WPI violates the trust of the CFS community, I expect the CFS community would eat them alive, at this point deceiving us would be very, very, very unwise. I do believe we need to watch them, just like we do all of the CFS advocacy groups and research efforts, no more and no less. But we really need to see where this all goes. WPI has made a lot of noise, they have a lot to live up to. Why not give them a chance to see if they can perform as advertised.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Actually, I think you might be right. I did my homework and found out that Dr Peterson is a Freemason, and Harvey Whittemore is the Grand Poobah of the Illuminati.

They want to take over the world....look out!!!!

'Sheeple'...come on.....seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.