• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wow... the right B12 makes a huge difference!

ebethc

I took some Jarrow M-B12 (5000 mcg lozenges) and WOW .. what a difference! I felt such a surge of energy - and not cortisol/adrenaline, but real vitality. I haven't gotten this from other formulations (Seeking Health AdenoB12; combo B12s, like Mt Angel Triple B12 w Hydroxy / Adeno / Methyl, and Black Bear Spray)

1. What does responding to METHYL B12 say about my methylation problem? (vs Adeno or Hydroxy or a Combo).
- All the variations methylation get confusing for me.. upregulated vs downregulated etc

2. Is the ratio of 5 Methylfolate to M-B12 important? What is it?
- I've read Freddd's work, but I haven't seen much explanation, like why a "crumb" of adeno? I don't think I need any additional B12 based on my M-B12 today, but maybe I'm missing something

3. The "Deadlock Quartet" notes Potassium, but how do I know if I need it? The B's and LCF seem like enough for me..

4. Will the "Deadlock Quartet" help stimulate BH4 and Ammonia Detox? I feel like this is my biggest prob.

thanks

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Jarrow B-12 is very potent, in my experience, but also very acidic (could be bad for teeth with long term use). I found that Country Life MethylB12 5000mcg is also effective and I'm currently using those.

1. I found, also, that I respond well to methylb12... somewhat to Adeno and very little to Hydroxy. I interpret this to mean that the cycle that creates MethyB12 is impaired for now and I need it already converted into this particular, active form. It's what my body needs and wants.

2. Some people suggest a little more than twice the B12 to methylfolate. Something like 400mcg methylfolate to 1000mcg B12 ratio. Again, I think your body will know more and tell you with trial and error. What works for Freddd may be different than what works for you - as his genetics and condition are different.

3. I don't really know. I just drink an 11oz carton of coconut water per day and try and get it from food. I didn't have any disasters - but I would get a more experienced opinion than mine. I'm new to this also!

4. I don't know.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@ebethc - I knew I needed potassium when, a couple of days after an initial burst of energy from methylfolate, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck - very heavy fatigue, different from crashing fatigue. I was so glad I had read Freddd's posts on potassium. I started taking it, titrated up to 1000 mg. a day over a couple of days, and that horrible fatigue lifted. I now take 400 mg. a day as a maintenance dose. Coconut water sounds good too - there are lots of sources of potassium, but many have a lot of calories or sugar which I need to avoid.

This article describes some low potassium symptoms: http://www.medicinenet.com/low_potassium_hypokalemia/page2.htm

I never got heart palpitations but I think many people do. My sister gets leg cramps, and I just get horrible fatigue.

Critterina

@ebethc ,
It's your MTRR A66G that methylates B12; you are +/-, so I'm a little surprised that you have such a great response - but good for you! :thumbsup: If it works, great! @Sherpa is +/+ like I am, so we probably need it even more. And @Mary makes a good point to watch your potassium. I do use coconut water, and sometimes judge by whether it tastes good to me or not, whether I need it.
Crit

ebethc

@ebethc ,
It's your MTRR A66G that methylates B12; you are +/-, so I'm a little surprised that you have such a great response - but good for you! :thumbsup: If it works, great! @Sherpa is +/+ like I am, so we probably need it even more. And @Mary makes a good point to watch your potassium. I do use coconut water, and sometimes judge by whether it tastes good to me or not, whether I need it.
Crit

@Critterina - my head is a little foggy... So, you're saying that MTRR +/+ usually has the biggest need for M-B12?

Which B12s (ie, hydroxy, adeno, methyl) map to which SNPs? Is there a link that you know of?

thanks

ebethc

@Critterina - just found this from Yasko, pp 10-12. According to the table on p 10, M-B12 should not work for me... I DO get jittery from caffeine, but only if I drink more than 1 cup (which is not very unusual!). We'll see how this goes for the rest of the week...so far, the Jarrow M-B12 is the only b12 that has a significant effect... Not sure that I should be taking 5000 mcg; I may split the does in half and take 1x of 2x a day. still experimenting.

Attachments

• 132017201-Dr-Amy-s-Simplified-Road-Map-to-Health.pdf
    956.6 KB · Views: 10

boo85

Potassium is needed moreso in the very early stages of methylation, especially when you're so deficient in B12. You're suddenly giving your body something it needs to create new cells and repair all the of the damage from the deficiency, and it goes into overdrive, creating new cells. This is what happened to me.

Symptoms like leg cramps, weak arms, fast heart beat, anxiety, especially at night when your body is repairing itself.

After a while it levels out and the need for potassium becomes less. Potassium salts are an option, and you're not limited to 99mg. You should be able to take up to 4000 - 5000 mcg of potassium per day, if you have regular, healthy kidneys.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@ebethc

I think Yasko's information is an interesting theory. There is some logic and merit to what she has to say, but it is all very theoretical. It's not some kind of proven, tested fact. The best B12 is the kind you respond best to!

ebethc

@Sherpa - True! responding well to methyls does send me off to a root cause analysis :) what do methyls say about what's happening with me? what insight can I get from that? I saw one of my doctors last week and he reminded me that I may never know why my health is the way it is, and even though I understand that, I'm still obsessed with at least getting closer... I'm adopted, which may have something to do with my obsession..

thanks