• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would you use B12 and magnesium injections that have expired?

As title. Hydroxocobalamin and magnesium sulphate in single-use glass ampoules, boxed. Expired 2014. Stored in a dark place since 2013 and moved to the fridge about a year ago, perhaps longer.

I know some medical supplies are really conservative with the dates. Possible loss-of-potency issues aside, would you consider them safe to use?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Tablets i might, injection i would be hesitant. Plus 3 years, 1 year or less i will often take tablets, but sublingual B12 is cheap and there are bio available magnesiums often also relatively cheap.
I've been taking hydrochloric acid tablets thats expired in 2016 but they are acid and will break down into hydrogen and aqueous chlorine, both relatively non toxic.