• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would B-12 shots help or hinder the Freddd protocol?

whodathunkit

FWIW, my pharmacist told me that I should discard my bottle no more than 30 days after I first pierce the membrane on the top of the bottle to draw my first injection. This is because of inevitable contamination, no matter if your needle comes out of a sterile pack or not. The needle picks up stuff just traveling through the air right before it pierces the membrane.

It may be overly cautious, but I go with that. But I've never had to throw any away, anyway. This is the first month since I started injecting that I didn't call for a refill the day it became available per my insurance rules.

Also, since you're only injecting 1ml, get the little 1ml diabetes syringes. The needles are much smaller and thinner. You can't even feel them, or if you do, it's just barely.

And unless you wear a bikini, do sub-q instead of intramuscular, on your stomach. There's usually some spare adipose to pinch there so if you give yourself a little bruise it can't be seen. Probably better than injecting your thighs during the summer months.

Edited to add: @sueami, LOL. :D

sueami

I just have to say that a heavenly choir of angels is singing in my world right now. I cannot believe how fabulous normal feels. MB12 shots are my new favorite thing in the world. I'm trying very hard to remember that I am recovering and I should let my body use this glorious energy to heal. But I did just bury under 2/3rds of my potato patch. I'm done for the day, though. I swear.

whodathunkit

Don't get to big for your britches, @sueami. :rofl:

Seriously, I'm so glad to hear it! That's how it affected me at first. The difference between injecting and not injecting was like night & day. Stuff was like crack to me for a while. But beware the enthusiasm trap. Myself, I evangelized; I exhorted everyone I knew, especially frazzled women, to get mB12 shots. I sang to the heavens the praises of injectable mB12. Everyone should know my joy! Etc. It got so bad that friends and neighbors took to walking rapidly in the opposite direction when they saw me coming. ;)

Seriously, let us know how it goes.

And BTW, did you make any progress on local procurement? Or will you stick with mail delivery?

sueami

=D
I am very mindful that B12 shots seem to have a limited effect for most people. I feel like the Flowers for Algernon character who knows he's going to become stupid again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of healing going that turns something more intrinsic around before they lose efficacy.

I was waiting to see if I even could tolerate the shots first, but now that i know they make me feel so well, I'm definitely going to look into a more local source. These are running me a little over $6.50 per 1 mg shot with the $33 shipping fee, and that seems a bit high.

whodathunkit

sueami said:
I feel like the Flowers for Algernon character who knows he's going to become stupid again.
Yep. That's a great way to put it.

But I will say, it's not so much a ramping down as it is an adjustment to the new normal. The extra, uber-available mB12 has affected you positively, and you're apparently really deficient in it (they say people not deficient have no reaction to it), and because it's helped you feel so much better than your [crappy] baseline, you're really happy. It's such a novel sensation you feel almost "cured".

But then as this energy boost becomes your normal, you're going to realize you're not cured, and that can be kind f a bummer. Then you go looking to see what else (tweaking dosage, adding/subtracting more supps, whatever) is going to boost you further along the road to being cured.

It's a series of steps. Sounds like you already understand that, I'm just trying reinforcing what you already know so you don't get discouraged. :)

BUT...you never know...maybe you'll be one of those lucky souls that this is primarily what you need. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

And yes...that price is way, way too high. We have some local pharmacies here that can probably ship it to you for way less than that. For a 30 day supply of 1mg/day I don't think you should be paying more than $3 - $4 per shot and that includes shipping. Out of pocket I'd be paying what you are, and my script is for 5mg/day.

PM me if you're interested.

sueami

Thanks for describing your experience, Whoda. I was actually afraid it would become non-effective, but the idea of just attenuating to it is much less distressing. I much prefer stair-stepping up. Alright, I'm going to shop around locally, see what I can find and I'll PM you if I don't have any good options here. Thanks!

whodathunkit

Just remember three steps forward and two steps back is still a net gain of one step. You can still complete a 1000 mile journey that way. :)

sueami

So, this weekend was two steps backward. I was so fatigued, physically and mentally, with fluish feelings both days. I was very disheartened and thinking that the MB12 shots were a flash in the pan -- though I was able to take naps on both days. I haven't napped but half a dozen times in the last 4 or 5 years -- wiredness always prevents me.

I was so tired and brain fogged yesterday that when the kids had friends over for a bbq and bonfire, I forgot a couple hotdogs on the gas grill, which ran all night long (and two teenagers apparently had a dinner of toasted marshmallows instead). Sigh.

This morning, I feel shockingly close to normal again. I'm very encouraged that these shots are making the difference in my methylation efforts, and promoting some deeper healing!

whodathunkit

@sueami, I went through a short period not long after I began mB12 where I could barely keep my eyes open during the day. You'll probably manifest a bunch of different symptoms and run through a bunch of different patterns. Freddd has said he kind of worked backwards through a bunch of old physical, neurological, and psychological junk, too. Healing is a big process on so many levels.

And then there's this to consider: "normal" people get tired and need naps and don't sleep well sometimes, too. I think in some respects we have an irrationally rosy view of what it means to be "normal", just because so many of us haven't experienced it in so long (if ever). It's not like perfectly healthy people get exactly a perfect 8 hours' sleep every night and wake up with the perfect amount of energy, etc. ;) Maybe when they're in their 20's, but not in the '40's and '50's. They bounce around a bit, too. Difference probably being how high and low the bounces are, and how frequent.

Fluish feeling can be a sign that you need more methylfolate. Just throwing it out there to consider. Do you understand Freddd's paradoxical folate deficiency theory? But maybe that wasn't your problem as you're feeling better now without adding folate. It may have been just a blip from the mB12.

Whatever, glad you're feeling a bit better. :)

sueami

I did think about folate deficiency, but wasn't entirely sure.. My doc, who at least is familiar with the methylation process, wanted me to back down from the 4mg I was taking pre-shots, and then possibly work back up to 2mg, if backing down didn't make me feel better, which it did not. I'm at 1.6mg now and added another 400 mcg today. I'll keep going higher if I notice the flu-ish feeling again.

My husband keeps telling me that he gets tired and needs to nap too, and he's right. But he also doesn't understand the depth of fatigue I can experience in this -- way more depleted than any tired I used to experience. I like that I've just felt ordinarily tired of late!