• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worsening of MCV, MCH and RDW with methylation?

Last 4 months blood results

MCV has gone from 100 to 102.7 to 103.2 to 104.7... despite being on Fredd's protocol since the 102 level
MCH is still out of range and increasing
RDW has shot up out of range with last test
HGB, HCT, RBC in range but decreasing.

All are consistent with deficiency of b12 and/or folate (as well as other nastier things)

Paresthesias getting worse. Now have burning pains in palms.

My doctor is now testing me for autoimmune hemolytic anemia and myeloma.

My question is - is it possible for my results to get exponentially worse promoting methylation?

Does methylation promote new red cell (Reticulocytes) production?
As these cells are larger than mature cells, would this increase the MCV and RDW?

Although following this, I guess my RBC would be increasing, not decreasing.

Any theories?

Victronix

That's very interesting, although I don't know enough to offer advice. I hope you will post the results of the test.

There are no other abnormalities so far

My ALT increased from 16 to 38 (range 5 -41). But I put this down to all the supplements I started taking in between these two tests.

I am a bit worried about my liver health, as liver disease could cause all of my symptoms.
I'll discuss it with my doctor this week when I get the results of my other tests.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Does methylation promote new red cell (Reticulocytes) production?
As these cells are larger than mature cells, would this increase the MCV and RDW?
Well, maybe the automated cell counter would get confused one way or the other, and you need a smear looked at - which would also detect schistocytes, which together with the immature RBCs being rushed into circulation would be pointing at hemolysis - far better than having MM, which btw creates anemia from lack of production rather than from hemolytic destruction.

Do you have bone pain that makes the doc want to test for MM?

No, no bone pain. I have no idea why he ordered that test, it doesn't fit at all.

My doctor here runs out of ideas pretty quickly. He just wants me to be happy with my blood tests, rather than wanting to know what is causing them.

I was also thinking that I need a smear looked at, rather than all this guesswork. But it could be too expensive for him

I'll ask him or I'll ask him to cut off my burning hands and feet instead

Creekee

Hi Stillgoing,

Have been enjoying your play-by-play accounts of early methylation. Thanks for sharing. I'm not too far behind you; just passed the three-month mark. But look at my latest out-of-range labs:

RBC Hi
RDW (cv) Lo
RDW (sd) Lo
Creatinine Lo
Triglyceride Hi
ALT Hi
CRP, high sensitivity Hi

Triglyceride has actually TRIPLED in two months.

What the heck is goin' on with us??

So my tests were negative for autoimmune hemolytic anemia and myeloma.

No surprise there. Haven't actually seen the doctor again, but going back to Czech Republic next week. See if I can get some better testing there.

Took 8000 metafolin today.. just to see if I could feel anything from such a relatively high dose. Nada.

I'll ask for a blood smear to be looked at. Any other tests I should request?

I think I am going to give my liver a break from my supplements. At least for a few days.

Just following this. My MCV just climbed back up to 102 and MCH just up again to 33.1
I am going to up my B12 and folate again ( if I can tolerate it:) Please do post as you have updates and good luck.

Well.. in just 16 days

MCV dropped from 104.7 to 98.9.
MCH dropped from 34 to 33.2
RDW dropped from 14.6 to 13

I am pretty happy about that.

Hopefully my tingling might start to go soon also.

I have no idea what managed to improve the results so quickly and I don't actually feel any better but it's a start