• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worse Than the Disease by David Tuller

Denise

Apologies if this new article by David Tuller has been posted already

"Worse Than the Disease
A popular therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome made many patients worse. Adding insult to injury, research supporting it is unraveling.
10.27.2016 / By David Tuller

After living in Oklahoma for 40 years, Nita and Doug Thatcher retired in 2009 to the Rust Belt city of Lorain, Ohio, a Cleveland suburb that hugs Lake Erie. When Nita needed to find a new primary care doctor, a friend recommended someone from the Cleveland Clinic. Nita knew the institution’s reputation for cutting-edge research and superior medical services. But as a longtime patient grappling with chronic fatigue syndrome, a debilitating disorder that scientists still don’t fully understand, she was wary when she learned that the clinic was promoting a common but potentially dangerous treatment for the illness: a steady increase in activity known as graded exercise therapy. ...."

worldbackwards

dancer

This article is as much a tour de force as the Virology articles. Wow! And the patient who was profiled was so courageous to share her experiences. I hope many many people read this.

I ached as I read about the attempts at GET which set her back - so similar to my experience. When I was diagnosed I went to the CDC website to read up on it, and since CBT was supposed to be a "treatment", I dragged myself to a psychologist and psychiatrist who listened to my frustration with the way illness had affected my life, but had nothing else to offer since they both said there was clearly something of physical origin that needed treatment.

I also tried upping my exercise (I'd been very active before the EBV infection that started it all - and after all, if major medical organizations were recommending it, it must be the answer, right?) and lost more and more ground. After becoming mostly bedbound for months, all doctors had to offer was shrugs.

Thank you again and again for bearing witness, David Tuller!

Esther12

Is this finally something David Tuller will have gotten paid for?!

Undark is a respected and influential site, so great to have him writing there. This is well worth promoting and might be seen as a more credible source than his virology blogs (this shouldn't matter, but sadly does).

Yogi

There's a new science magazine on the block: Undark, named for a century-old radium paint that seemed wondrous at first but later turned out to be deadly.

It's an independent online magazine published by the Knight Science Journalism program at MIT (my fellowship alma mater), and it aims to "explore science not just as a 'gee-whiz' phenomenon, but as a frequently wondrous, sometimes contentious, and occasionally troubling byproduct of human culture."

Read an excerpt below and the full story in Undark, and then please share in the comments section at the bottom: What do you think is the moral of this story?

http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2016/10/27/chronic-fatigue-misguided-therapy-undark

http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/about

If someone is going to comment as not able to do so right now. Can you mention that they change title as "fatigue syndrome" F48.0 is mental and not same as CFS.

Last edited: