• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

worried again.

Fuzzyhead

I am worried because i have googled about my symptoms and the big c comes up all the time. Reading horror stories of women who put symptoms down to perimenopause and its OC. My waist line has grew in the last 8/9 months and i have went up 2 dress sizes(never been this big only when pregnant), my periods are all over the place and now i keep getting twinges/pains in my left ovary area and ibs type symptoms.Just had bloods done this morning for thyroid, hormones, LFT, full blood count, vit B12 etc but i can't stop worrying even though my gp isn't. I keep trying to reassure myself that in approx 10 months if it was serious i would be more ill than i am. I forget about it then i get the pain in my ovary area and then i worry again.

Invisible Woman

So sorry @Fuzzyhead that you are going through this. I don't know much about OC but I hope you get some answers soon.

If your blood results come back ok perhaps your doctor could explain exactly why they feel there is no cause for concern: what they have ruled out and why. If you are still worried then perhaps you could be referred to a gynaecologist anyway?

Let us know how you get on.

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @Fuzzyhead you have the right to be concerned. Perhaps asking for a pelvic ultrasound is warranted? Is your pelvic exam normal?

i am afraid that the blood work that has been requested as stated will not shine the light anywhere near where what needs to be checked out and ruled out.

Sending best wishes. i do not want to alarm you but indeed it is best getting things checked out and have a clear mind.

CCC

Definitely ask for a pelvic ultrasound on the basis of your pain. Your GP should be able to give you a referral for that.

Gingergrrl

I agree with @Kati and I would ask for a pelvic ultra sound and a CA125 blood test (which may have a different name in different countries, I am not sure?) I know it is a pain in the ass but early detection is critical with OC. Best wishes to you.

Kati

Patient in training
I agree with @Kati and I would ask for a pelvic ultra sound and a CA125 blood test (which may have a different name in different countries, I am not sure?) I know it is a pain in the ass but early detection is critical with OC. Best wishes to you.
CA-125 is a marker of ovarian cancer, however it can be raised for all kinds of reasons, including localized inflammation. In my case, both CA-125 and Ca-19-9 were elevated when I was diagnosed with a simple ovarian cyst, and it got me worried but it was simply inflammation and the cyst was benign. The best screening tool would be a pelvic ultrasound at this point. It's simple enough to do.

This link will explain what I just said. http://www.foundationforwomenscancer.org/wp-content/uploads/CA125levels.pdf