• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

wobenzym and proteolytic enzymes

ebethc

warning ... TMI ahead

I started taking wobenzym & bitters (brand = urban moonshine) this week. I had a HUGE headache today, like someone kicked in the back of my head. Super foul smelling poops, (BUT really glad to be having poops, so not complaining).

I don't think that the bitters are causing the headache, and foul smell. I don't know too much about wobenzym/proteolytic enzymes, and everything I've read is either very positive (most comments) or it didn't work (minority)... There doesn't seem to be a lot that says there's a detox reaction... I did read that it can disrupt biofilm, which could cause a wicked headache the foul smelling poops.. I've also read that it can help detox ammonia, which might cause a headache.. The info is mostly from lyme disease sites, which I don't have so the info is very wrapped up in lyme symptoms, and i'm not sure that it applies to me.

A couple of years ago, I tried Transformation "Digest" Enzymes, which did NOTHING... Those enzymes are for fiber & carbs, whereas Wobenzym has totally different enzymes - for protein, I believe.

Does anyone have knowledge of either wobenzym or proteolytic enzymes? thanks.

South

I tried enzymes on an empty stomach in the past, and got that huge headache - the back of the head/top of neck headache. For me, they also slowed down my bm's too much, not sped them up, when taken on empty stomach.

I have wondered in the past if that means the enzymes opened up some biofilm, but I don't know.

The types I used that caused this were (I think) mostly protein digesting type enzymes, can't remember brand names.

For now I'm not taking them on empty anymore, maybe someday will try again.

I can, however, take a wide range of enzymes WITH FOOD without any problems. But, that doesn't help if our goal is to get those enzymes into systemic circulation :-(

ahmo

I've used serrapeptase, another protyolitic, to disrupt biofilm. I've found it effective. Recently I had congestion w/ not discharge from my nose for nearly 3 months. Then someone suggested that the Candida cleanse I'd been doing at the outset may have released bacteria into a new compartment. I started serrapeptase, and almost immediately the discharge began. powerful medicine.

ebethc

I have wondered in the past if that means the enzymes opened up some biofilm, but I don't know.

I wondered this, too... I'm hoping this is the case, because it would mean that the pain of the past couple of days has some constructive purpose! I've been sick a long time, so biofilms could be an inch thick!

Bromelain has always been good for me (another proteolytic enzyme, which is in wobenzym) so I think I switch to that one for a couple of days, then try the wobenzym again