• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wisconsin Viral Research story

patient.journey

http://www.wisconsinlab.com/virus_discovery.html

Our interest in virus discovery began in 1988. In 2010, we are continuing this quest. Read about our ideas for the Global Virus Discovery Program in Kenya.
Late in 1988, a positive but life-changing event occurred in the laboratory of Dr. Knox and
Dr. Carrigan in the Department of Pathology at the Medical College of Wisconsin. They were asked by a fellow in the HIV/AIDS Program to try and isolate HIV from a patient's peripheral blood.

The patient was an enigma. He was clinically suffering from AIDS (severe T lymphopenia, mental status changes, and life-threatening opportunistic infections), but he was seronegative for HIV and was negative for the HIVp24 antigen in his serum. A standard HIV isolation culture was established, but no HIV could be detected throughout the course of the culture.

However, an unusual cytopathic agent was isolated (number 1 below). Standard virologic methods were used to confirm that the agent was a virus, and by electron microscopy this agent was identified as a member of the herpesvirus family. Further studies, in collaboration with Robert Gallo's laboratory at the National Cancer Institute, confirmed that the virus was a newly described form of herpesvirus termed human herpesvirus six (HHV-6). The surprise isolation of this almost unknown virus provided the inspiration for Drs. Knox and Carrigan's Program for Virus Discovery.

http://www.wisconsinlab.com/virus_discovery.html

Our interest in virus discovery began in 1988. In 2010, we are continuing this quest. Read about our ideas for the Global Virus Discovery Program in Kenya.
Late in 1988, a positive but life-changing event occurred in the laboratory of Dr. Knox and
Dr. Carrigan in the Department of Pathology at the Medical College of Wisconsin. They were asked by a fellow in the HIV/AIDS Program to try and isolate HIV from a patient's peripheral blood.

The patient was an enigma. He was clinically suffering from AIDS (severe T lymphopenia, mental status changes, and life-threatening opportunistic infections), but he was seronegative for HIV and was negative for the HIVp24 antigen in his serum. A standard HIV isolation culture was established, but no HIV could be detected throughout the course of the culture.

However, an unusual cytopathic agent was isolated (number 1 below). Standard virologic methods were used to confirm that the agent was a virus, and by electron microscopy this agent was identified as a member of the herpesvirus family. Further studies, in collaboration with Robert Gallo's laboratory at the National Cancer Institute, confirmed that the virus was a newly described form of herpesvirus termed human herpesvirus six (HHV-6). The surprise isolation of this almost unknown virus provided the inspiration for Drs. Knox and Carrigan's Program for Virus Discovery.

Hi Omar
Thanks for this update, its really interesting, these 2 dr are great ppl, have u tried to contact them and ask them about testing?

taniaaust1

HHV-6A (most of the normal pop instead gets HHV-6B.. u usually get one or he other) has been strongly connected to ME/CFS with one study showing that nearly all ME/CFS people were carrying the HHV-6A version. As far as I know these studies were never followed up or it worked out why that was so.

Valentijn

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC172933/pdf/100521.pdf is a pretty interesting discussion of HHV-6 A and B, and provides a lot of specific info about HHV-6A, including increased prevalence in ME/CFS. There's even a section discussing CFS on page 29 of the pdf (page 549 of the hardcopy volume). It's still just 22% prevalence in one study, compared to 4% in controls, so while certainly interesting, it's probably not The Answer.

There's a ton of links to other good papers about HHV-6 there, including two regarding ME/CFS:
Di Luca, D., M. Zorzenon, P. Mirandola, R. Colle, G. A. Botta, and E. Cassai. 1995. Human herpesvirus 6 and human herpesvirus 7 in chronic fatigue syndrome. J. Clin. Microbiol. 33:1660–1661.
Yalcin, S., H. Kuratsune, K. Yamaguchi, T. Kitani, and K. Yamanishi. 1994. Prevalence of human herpesvirus 6 variants A and B in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Microbiol. Immunol. 38:587–590.

http://cfs-ireland.com/hhv6a.pdf also mentions that 40% of ME/CFS clinic patients who had HHV-6A in spinal fluid did not have detectable HHV-6A in serum. So it might like to play hide-and-go-seek.

SOC

Efforts to establish an association between HHV-6 infection and CFS have been complicated by the fact that several studies have been published using tests that don’t differentiate between active and latent HHV-6 infection. Studies that utilized such assays showed no association between HHV-6 and CFS, contradicting the positive studies and creating confusion. However, when assays able to distinguish active and latent infection have been employed (by surveying for specific agents such as IgG “early antigen” antibodies, which are present only during active viral infection), strong disease associations have been observed, suggesting an important role for HHV-6 in CFS.

Read more here: http://www.hhv-6foundation.org/associated-conditions/hhv-6-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

PS Who is surprised that Reeves is one of those who published a paper finding no connection between ME/CFS and HHV-6 using tests that don't distinguish between active and latent infections? :rolleyes:

jstefl

The story of Wisconsin Viral Research, and Drs Knox and Carrigan is documented in a book titled" The Virus within" by Nicholas Regush. I would recommend this book to all. It is getting to be a little old, having been published in 2000, but it is filled with great information on HHV-6.

Due to the age of the book, I was able to find it very inexpensively on used book sites. Abe books presently has many copies available for $ 1.00 each plus $ 2.95 shipping.

The book is very easy reading, but will answer many questions about HHV-6, and its role in our illness.

Dr. Knox is a very interesting person, and her inspirational story is worth reading on its own.

John