• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Winter issue Family Doctor: article on ME by Mary Dimmick et al

Countrygirl

http://www.nysafp.org/NYSAFP/media/PDFs/Family Doctor/Family-Physician-Winter-2018WEB.pdf

The article starts on page 23

By Mary Dimmock, Susan Levine, MD, and Terri L. Wilder, MSW

Introduction

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or ME/CFS remains an elusive diagnosis to most family and primary care practitioners. There are currently no Federal Drug Administration (FDA) approved treatments specific to this disease.

Clinical guidance has often recommended cognitive behavioral (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET), but these therapies are inappropriate and potentially harmful for patients with ME/CFS.1 In 2015, the Institute of Medicine (IOM, now called the National Academy of Medicine) issued new clinical diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS and summarized the growing evidence of biological impairment.

2 Since then, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has funded three Centers of Excellence to study ME/CFS,3 a pediatric ME/CFS primer has been published,4 and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has updated the diagnostic and treatment information on its website.5 Family physicians have a critical role to play in providing early diagnosis and effective treatment of this disabling disease.

History

ME/CFS has existed throughout the twentieth century but has been both maligned and misunderstood as a result of a lack of research, a paucity of diagnostic tests and FDA approved treatments, and because of non-specific diagnostic criteria that included patients with other diseases. As a result, patients with ME/CFS have remained unidentified or have been misdiagnosed and thus have struggled to get proper clinical care. Further complicating our understanding of ME/CFS, a significant number of ME/CFS research studies have focused on the role of psychogenic factors in the development and perpetuation of the disease

.6 These studies were based on the unproven theory that the severity and poor prognosis of ME/CFS was due to the patients’ harboring a fear of activity and thus becoming deconditioned and that these could be reversed with CBT and GET.

7 Unfortunately, the most commonly recommended treatments in ME/CFS clinical guidance have been CBT and GET, based on these false presumptions.8 Editor’s Note: The NYSAFP Editorial Board, as well as our authors encourage and appreciate feedback from our readers. Please share your clinical experience and comments about this illness or any others that have been featured in this issue.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: What Every Family Physician Needs to Know ME/CFS

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Countrygirl

Thanks for posting this. What an excellent document in such a prominent place! This trio of writers has crafted a piece with such timely and relevant information (and documentation!). Patients could print this off and come "armed" to a doctor's appointment, just in case they face a nasty reaction.

The Family physicians/GP's are really the front lines of our need for change, and since this is in such a large state's magazine/journal, it's a key location for putting pressure on other states. The Massachusetts Board of Health's sponsorship of Unrest is also another encouraging sign, again to educate even other states.

RWP