Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Window for Antivirals?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by nryanh94, May 16, 2018.

1. nryanh94

nryanh94

Hi all,

I’ve seen posted a few times/statements from different doctors that there is a window of time in which antivirals work/are more effective.

I’ve had this illness for a little over a year now and didn’t know if I was past that window.

Is there a consensus on how long that is, or does it vary so much that no one really knows.

Shoshana and Judee like this.
  2. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    As far as I know, in his latest lecture (posted here elsewhere), Dr Montoya - if I understood correctly - says antivirals plus anti-inflammatory medications work at any stage of disease (so the window is unlimited). Conversely, Dr Lerner found that those who seek treatment later do not respond as well as those who seek treatment early.

But one year is quite early, I haven't seen anything that would suggest that antivirals couldn't be effective after one year.

3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    I believe the Columbia research team targeted the 3-year mark as some sort of immune transition point. Don't know if that transition applies for treatment with AV's, but you are still early in this.

Shoshana likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    With acute viral illness the window is typically just days. If you have been sick longer than that then they wont usually give them to you.

Stanford uses them for up to five years, and at any stage of the illness, with moderate success. However they are starting to think its secondary properties of specific antivirals that help, not the primary antiviral function.

Discussion on a window depends on what is meant by a window. It also depends on what is being treated. There is no good evidence that the antiviral properties are what makes the difference except in cases with provable chronic viral infection or reactivation, which is definitely a real thing in a minority.

Shoshana likes this.
  5. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    Not trying to go to far OT, but what secondary properties are they thinking attribute to improvement...if you know?

Shoshana likes this.
  6. jaybee00

jaybee00 Senior Member

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Just guessing, but antiinflammatory and mitochondrial effects, perhaps.

Shoshana and Diwi9 like this.
  8. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    That clinic is all over inflammation...going for my intake on Monday. Not expecting a miracle, but hoping for something :)

Shoshana likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.