• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will taking beta blocker from 2008 hurt me?

CAcfs

Hey all, I have been wanting to retry my beta blocker, but the stuff I have sitting around here was filled in August 2008. I kinda wanted to try it without having to go back to the doctor.....you think I should I try it, or will it hurt me?

I know some kinds of Doxycycline can go bad over time and they decompose into something harmful, and it can really hurt you, but I haven't heard of this kind of a phenomenon with any other prescription drugs.

CAcfs

Hmm, that is not a bad suggestion, however, recently I asked a pharmacist if I could take expired Adderall because there is a huge shortage in the U.S., and he told me they don't recommend taking expired prescriptions. That is ALL he would say, even when I pressed him, and said, "but my doctor wants me to take it, and you guys can't get it for months..." So it was frustrating. It wasn't an educated answer he was giving me, just a generic answer. :(

I realize no one here is a pharmacist, but just wanting opinions on what you all would do...no pressure though, only answer obviously if you feel like giving your random two cents.

Undisclosed

There is a reason why meds have an expiration date. You really should see your doctor related to this med because you haven't taken it for four years. There may be contraindications. If they have lost potency, then you won't get any effect anyways. My opinion is to see your doctor and get a new prescription.

taniaaust1

Hmm, that is not a bad suggestion, however, recently I asked a pharmacist if I could take expired Adderall because there is a huge shortage in the U.S., and he told me they don't recommend taking expired prescriptions. That is ALL he would say, even when I pressed him, and said, "but my doctor wants me to take it, and you guys can't get it for months.

Can you phone your doctor and ask him seeing he wanted you to take it..