• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why not Ketamine?

peggy-sue

ENGLAND????
I'm Scottish.:p

I really do have a massive phobia. It is not irrational either.
What is the biggest killer in the world?
Malaria.

How do you get it?

Injection by a sneaky beastie!

Undisclosed

Kina- my argument, in brief:

Ketamine has been around for decades. It's FDA approved, and is one of the most thoroughly studied drugs on the market. It is also been tested informally, tens of millions of times by young boneheads everywhere. This may be 'anecdotal' evidence to the Sheldon Coopers of this world, but the numbers are overwhelming and the results are undeniable- Ketamine is one of the least toxic drugs on the planet.

As for how the human brain works- nobody knows. Neurophamacology is still in the 'cut and try' stage. Meanwhile CFS/ME victims watch,and wait- and grow older and sicker, and die. Yet there is a potential treatment, one that worked before, that takes effect immediately, is non toxic, that everyone can afford, is FHA approved- why not TRY it at least?

If a doctor would agree to prescribe Ketamine to me, and infuse me Monday morning, the entire CFS/ME world would know, starting Tuesday morning, how I was doing, if I thought Ketamine was helping me, any negative effects.

Why not try?

It has not been widely studied for use as an anti-depressant.

It's long term effects are not known.

The effects on depression seem to be short-lived.

Have there been any studies using ME/CFS patients?

There is no such thing as a non-toxic drug -- it's how it's used that is a better measure of safety. As already stated, it can destroy your bladder -- that suggests it is very toxic.

Why not try it , you ask. Well for one I am not depressed. I still occasionally grieve over all the things I have lost and no drug is going to take that away. That's a process that all people go through when dealing with any illness, I don't think it's appropriate to medicate some things away and really you can't. I think for relief from a severe depression or suicide ideation it might be useful though.

TheChosenOne

There is no such thing as a non-toxic drug -- it's how it's used that is a better measure of safety. As already stated, it can destroy your bladder -- that suggests it is very toxic.
That's true. This counts for all drugs, including prescription drugs. Prescription drugs kill more people than illegal drugs.

manna

ive tried low dose halucinogen therapy (as in you don't "trip"). banisteriopsis caapi leaf tea for one; legal (in the uk) and completely herbal, great mood stabiliser. its been found through much use that daily low doses of halucinogen therapy, of even natural substances, comes back to bite you and that once every 3 days was the maximum recommended frequency. kratom is another though more for pain and relaxing. you can do similar to ketamine with natural substances. personally i avoid synthetic anything as there are always safer alternatives ime. ayahuasca is more about the insights but also removes physical, emotional, mental and spiritual blocks so the healing is physiological and energetic too...plus much much more. i avoid needles, not through fear of being spiked but it just aint right in my book. nothing should enter the body without first passing the mucous membrane.

Last edited: