• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why has Idebenone suddenly stopped working?

keenly

For 18 months using 500mg Idebenone changed my life. I increased my activity, had little fatigue(still had severe venous pooling meaning I have to lie down several times a day), and got to the point where I could walk around the block without set back. I was doing light resistance work on my back daily, and was able to type without bicep fatigue. The difference between using Idebenone and day to day life prior was huge.

5 weeks ago all that changed. First of all I jogged on a treadmill for the first time in 14 years(about 5 mins). I pushed to do this. I started with walking and got up my pace. Now bear in mind I was bed ridden a decade ago, and 2 years prior only walked a couple of hundred meters at a time.
After this I had some breathing trouble but not severe PEM. 1 week later I added B12 and mixed B Vitamin oils. I immediately used high dose. 3 days later severe crash. Adrenaline dump, weakness in arms, tingling, jelly like limbs and severe breathing problems. Now Idebenone does not work at all. Just typing fatigues my muscles.

It is like the exercise, then B vitamins have changed my biochemistry, now Idebenone gives me heartburn within minutes after transdermal application. It also causes some heart racing and breathing problems.

What the hell is going on?

In the last 18 months I was barely on any forum, because I was progressing and had hope. I did not need any doctor input. Now I am scrabbling for help. So frustrating.

In my opinion, it didn’t stop working and I would keep taking it. It gave you a new energy envelop, but you still had ME/CFS and when you exceeded that envelope you suffered for it, even if not right away. If you really rest and pace yourself I believe you can get back to where you were.