• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does Potassium supp clear up brain fog?

Hi Everyone,

I am new here but have already started on Freddd's active b12 protocol. Thanks @Freddd btw:)

I have noticed that when I take a potassium supp, it helps to brighten up my thinking, clears my mind from the brain fog apparently brought on by the mb12. Anybody else experienced this?

I didn't think I needed potassium as I eat about 8-10 bananas a day, and 2-3 thai coconut waters, boy was I surprised. The potassium is very helpful.

Does anyone think this means I may need more folate? Just today I am upping my folate from 400mg 3x day to 400mg 4x a day. This is my second week on these supps.

The Adb12 seemed to be very calming to me, btw. I only took it one day so far instead of the mb12 as suggested.

I am very new at all of this, so I appreciate any insights. Thanks!:)

TropicalKid

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @tropicalkid

Welcome to PR.

If you would like Freddd to see your comment and your thanks he may not notice your post unless you tag him with the @ and his name as I did with your name.

So, @Freddd

As far as potassium clearing brain fog I don't have any insight but I would suggest that you consider a Magnesium supplement to go with the other supplements you are taking.

Hope you find the info you're looking for.

Martial

low levels of potassium from hypokalemia can even produce dementia or psychotic type symptoms, this is not very surprising to say the least lol.

Until I read the rest of the post...I am surprised to hear all of that potassium didn't help unless supplemented.. I would be careful with that dieat though that is a ton of sugar!

You're folate looks good, what is the amount of adb12 and mb12 you are taking in comparison? Are you also supplementing the other b vitamins to avoid deficiencies from high dose folate/b12, also make sure you are covered on basic micro minerals and vitamins like magnesium, manganese, iodine, zinc, copper, vit A, C, D, E, not saying take supplements of all these forms but be sure the diet covers for all those types of things. Methylation can drive pretty high demand for nutrients and be stressing on a cellular level upon starting up.

p.s. like snowdrop said magnesium is as equally important, try to get a transdermal version as this will really help in conjunction with the potassium and is much easier absorbed and bio available via. skin.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
wow... I woke up with pretty intense hypokalema (twitching, jerking, tinging) and I didn't even take methylfolate for days. Just a substantial dose of B12 (oil). has anyone got low K from B12 only?

Thanks so much, this forum is so helpful.

@Sherpa
As you know, I am just getting my head around all of this, but from what I can surmise, it appears that potassium is top priority with the b12. Of course, we all know the folate as well, but it seems like it should be taken for sure with any supps of b12. That's my take away anyway. Hope you figure out your sweet spot again, and soon!

@Snowdrop
Thanks for the tip and the reply! I am taking a liquid Trace Minerals which has all of the minerals in a balanced form, have you heard of this brand?

@Martial
Thanks so much for the reply. I am taking 2500mcg (1/2 table of the 5000mcg) of Solgar methylcobalimin sublingual every morning. Do you think this is a good brand? I am unsure how to know what my true absorbed dose really is.

I took one (1/2 tablet dose of 10mg) dibencozide adb12 of the Source Naturals brand last Friday.

Also, I understand the surprise reaction as to how much sugar my diet contains:) I follow a high raw/cooked version of the 80/10/10 Diet. The sugar is a massive help to my energy as long as I don't consume much fat (10% of total calories which is not much!). I am definitely not here to try to convert or push my diet on anyone, I just wanted to clarify that point. I had hypoglycemia my whole life until I found this way of eating 5 years ago. I had completely healed myself of CFS and turned the clock back on my body/health/looks, etc. It was like my genetics changed before my very eyes in a 10 month period of healing and transformation. It was awesome, I still did have a little fatigue though occasionally, probably low b12. Then 2 years ago I had one amalgam out, and got a little sicker. Then a year and half ago, I got the final one removed, and then just kept getting sicker and sicker, until here I am today.

I'm not dysfunctional thank God, but I need this b12 protocol to get me back over the hump again. The diet alone wasn't achieving this. Especially because it is more or less vegan, although recently I am adding a little bit of undercooked eggs, which seems to have helped something, maybe with the metals.

I am going to look into transdermal magnesium too, thanks. I used to use this years ago, it really does work and I had forgotten about it.

Regarding minerals, I am still a little confused about what has been written regarding "vegetable folate", I am assuming from greens. I don't know whether I should consume a lot, a little or non at all? With such a high fruit diet as I am on, the traditional approach is to consume large amounts of greens to offset the sugar with minerals. This is important for me to find out.

@physicsstudent13
Wow, that's quite an amazing story regarding your ER experience. So glad they gave you potassium, it's so amazingly important we are all finding out:)

Thanks again everyone for the support, this is such a great place for help. Have a nice one:)

TropicalKid

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Thanks for the tip and the reply! I am taking a liquid Trace Minerals which has all of the minerals in a balanced form, have you heard of this brand?

Hiya @tropicalkid

Porbably not. I've taken trace minerals (a good idea) but never in liquid form and as I'm in Toronto I deal with the brands available here. Generally I use Thorne or AOR.

There is always so much to learn. As time has gone on I have learned that there are more/less bioavailable formulations of things.
Selenium is one supplement that comes to mind (selemethionine?) and thiamine (benfotiamine).

Looks like you're getting some helpful replies. :) Hope they help.

I just wanted to add that I am also taking Cell Salts by Standard. I wish I knew more about them, but all I can say is they make me feel better. They are sublingual and I have taken them on and off for years. The ingredients are:

Calcium 1.4mg
Iron 1.2mg
Phosphorous 2.5mg
Magnesium .5mg
Chlorine 1.2mg
Sodium 1.6mg
Potassium 3.5mg
Sulfur 1.7mg
Silicon 1.2mcg
Fluorine 1.2mcg

you take half a dozen of the tiny tablets or so throughout the day by melting them under your tongue, they are especially good with sauna use. It is said that if the taste leans toward sweet, then they are more needed, and to continue taking in small amounts until the sweet taste diminishes or turns salty.

Anybody have experience with cell salts?

TropicalKid

Gondwanaland

wow... I woke up with pretty intense hypokalema (twitching, jerking, tinging) and I didn't even take methylfolate for days. Just a substantial dose of B12 (oil). has anyone got low K from B12 only?
Measure your urine pH.