• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does B12 not work for me?

alicec

How much do you use when you do it topically

That's entirely up to you.

The product is 5 mg/ml. We know that sublingually you are lucky to get absorption of 1/10, and that is from very slow dissolution of a lozenge between gum and cheek. Just putting liquid in the mouth for a short while would give less than this rate - probably much less.

Absorption from the topical products from B12 Oils has been measured at about 80%, so is very comparable with injection.

We don't really know what absorption would be from home-made topical stuff (ie liquid B12 plus a lotion) but it seems to be pretty good judging by potency compared with the B12 oil (This was my own experiment. I wanted to try quite high doses topically and it would have been quite expensive in the long term with the B12 oil product so I tried alternating comparable doses of the two products).

Typically, injections are usually from 1-5 mg/daily. This is a very high dose (comparable to at least 10-50 mg sublingual). I thought the home-made topical would be a bit less than this and tried up to 10 mg liquid plus lotion in divided doses. I certainly noticed it! Unfortunately continuing at this dose was too stimulating and I backed off. Still next time I decide to try big doses of B12 I'll use the Bluebonnet product again.