• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does adenosylcobalamin make me feel stronger ?

xchocoholic

This is the second time I've gotten this reaction from this supplement. I had to stop taking this the first time I took it because eventually it caused insomnia.

All of my muscles feel stronger within an hour of taking this. Orthostatic intolerance makes me lay back down at the same rate as before tho but I get petite mals easily from being upright.

I tried researching adenosine and adenosyl but got confused. I knew it was part of atp but didn't realize
where all it's used. I was thinking that I might benefit from other adenosyl + supplements.

Is there any research on this ?

Thanks .. X

Ps. Mb12 doesn't appear to do anything for me.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
You could possibly have some of the more rare polymorphisms, which might explain why the adeno B-12 has more effect than methyl B-12. When you was taking the methyl B-12 were you also taking any Metfolin or similar folate products?

xchocoholic

Hi august.

No I just took the mb12 on it's own to see if it would make a difference.. I've taken several b12 and
folate supplements over the years but only the adb12, country life sublingual, does this for me.

I just remembered that it has a little folic acid. It has 3000 mg adb12 and 200 mcg folic acid. I took metagenics folate once and my labs showed it was high and I don't remember feeling this way.

I did b12 injections
off and in for about 15 years. These gave me energy sometimes but never made me feel physically stronger.

It did the exact same thing the last time I tried it but after awhile I had to stop it due to insomnia.
Since discovering that some of my food intolerances changed, I thought this may have too so I decided to try
it once again.

Would googling polymorphism adenosine find this ?

tx .. X

richvank

Hi, exchoc.

Adenosylcobalamin is used in the mitochondria, especially in the muscle cells. It acts as a coenzyme for the methylmalonate pathway. This pathway is used to feed several fuels into the Krebs cycle, to support making ATP by the mitochondrial. ATP supplies the energy to drive muscle contraction. Some of the fuels involved are several of the amino acids, propionate, and the odd-chain fatty acids.

This pathway feeds the fuels in at succinyl CoA, which is downstream of the partial block at aconitase, which limits the use of carbs and fats for fuel in ME/CFS. So boosting adenosyl B12 can make a big difference in this disorder.

In the simplified methylation protocol, hydroxo B12 is used, and the cells can normally convert it to both methyl B12 and adenosyl B12, but these processes can be slow if glutathione is badly depleted. In this case, adding adenosyl B12, as Freddd does in his protocol, can make a beneficial difference.

Best regards,

Rich

xchocoholic

Thanks Rich. I appreciate your detailed answer and now I have some googling to do.

Based on what I'm feeling, it works exactly like you said to. I have muscle strength and some extra
energy from this. The first day I took this I actually walked to the beach, swam for 30 minutes and promptly
walked back. No resting required. : )

That hasn't happened since but I'm worn down due to my parasite cleanse so I don't expect much improvement at this point. I just took 3 days of mebendazole. Based on my reaction, not to mention my
Metametrix panel, I'm very positive for parasites.

Btw, do you have any idea why this supplement caused insomnia and jitterness the last time I took
it for a few months. I tend to do that with certain foods and supplements. I'm thinking it's my leaky gut causing
causing intolerance and rotating this would solve that.

Thanks again... X