• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why Doctors Often Find it Difficult to Diagnose and Treat Tinnitus Study

Sea

I have quite severe tinnitus. It gets much louder and I also get the pulsatile tinnitus when I have a migraine coming on or when I get a cold. I also have sensorineural hearing loss, much worse in one ear and I have read before that tinnitus is common in this type of hearing loss. I've learned to live with it, other symptoms of ME/CFS are far worse than this one for me.

PNR2008

I also have tinnitus (louder with migraines) and the pulsating kind. The doc I went to said my eardrum was loose and flappy like a sail on boat which was causing hearing loss. When I used to sing, certain notes vibrated my eardrum too much, I just figured my sinuses were causing it and I know my sinuses didn't help but the only hearing loss I notice is sound bouncing in the room from the TV.

GhostGum

@barbc56 Very interesting barb, thank you. Still quite hard to understand, how you could continue to perceive what appears to be a sound with deafness, but is really the brains perception of 'tinnitus', whatever that means. Just more mystery with what is an incredibly complex organ.

barbc56

@GhostGum

I also find things like this fascinating. I'm wondering if it's like phantom limb pain where you feel pain in the affected limb even though its been amputated.

Barb