• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Why do ineffective treatments seem helpful? A brief review" (Hartman, 2009) (not illness specific)

Dolphin

[This is timeless. It doesn't require any knowledge of mathematics or statistics (except "mean" in "regression to the mean" i.e. the average). The abstract doesn't really do it justice - it covers some cognitive fallacies and generally a lot more than what is in the abstract. Doesn't require much knowledge of biology, that I recall]

Free full text: http://www.chiromt.com/content/17/1/10

Why do ineffective treatments seem helpful? A brief review.

Chiropr Osteopat. 2009 Oct 12;17:10. doi: 10.1186/1746-1340-17-10.

Hartman SE.

Source

Department of Anatomy, College of Osteopathic Medicine, University of New England, Biddeford, Maine 04005, USA. shartman@une.edu

Abstract*

After any therapy, when symptoms improve, healthcare providers (and
patients) are tempted to award credit to treatment.

Over time, a particular treatment can seem so undeniably helpful that scientific verification of efficacy is judged an inconvenient waste of time and resources.

Unfortunately, practitioners' accumulated, day-to-day, informal impressions of diagnostic reliability and clinical efficacy are of limited value.

To help clarify why even treatments entirely lacking in direct effect can seem helpful, I will explain why real signs and symptoms often improve, independent of treatment.

Then, I will detail quirks of human perception, interpretation, and memory that often make symptoms seem improved, when they are not.

I conclude that healthcare will grow to full potential only when judgments of clinical efficacy routinely are based in properly scientific, placebo-controlled, outcome analysis.

PMID: 19822008 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC2770065

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph