The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Why do I get blurred vision from Milk Thistle?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by jason30, Feb 18, 2018.

1. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Hi,

I wonder if someone have an idea why Milk Thistle cause blurred vision on the next day I took it?
    I do have some liver problems such as fatty liver and I have toxic buildup.
    In other cases, when my liver have a hard time, I never get blurred vision.
    I do know that milk thistle is high in histamine and sulfur. From histamine I do know that I don't get blurred vision when it's high. I don't know about sulfur.
    Recently a blood test showed high potassium (I don't take potassium supplements) and high iron saturation (51%).
    Some minerals are low.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

2. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

That's probably it. Perhaps some magnesium would help it.
    I get bad reactions if I ingest MT powder, so when I take it, I put half of the contents of a capsule inside a tea bag, brew it for 5 minutes and then drink it.
    In my personal experience when serum electrolytes are high it means deficiency, but that might be just me.

andyguitar and jason30 like this.
  3. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    That's interesting, does that holds the bad reactions away for you?

It is? Is there an other test to determine the potassium level or is it just looking at symptoms?

Thanks a lot!

4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

No bad reactions at all if I am tolerating MT (I am currently not tolerating it) :cautious:
    This is in my personal experience, I don't know if it holds for everyone. I have no idea about how to determine the potassium level...

jason30 likes this.
  5. percyval577

percyval577 Senior Member

When I first took milk thistle it was not only quit of a good effect (which got reduced over about seven times),
    but I got also some joint pain.
    This very joint pain I got also from an experiement with a neuroleptic/antipsychotic - I knew already it should not be of much help as Tyrosine regularly helps me. But the situation does not appear in clarity: In order of to much nitric oxide Dopamine should be reuptake-inhibited, so what´s to think about? -
    Anyway, my guess would be, milk thistle likes to work in the striatum best to inhibit nitric oxide synthase, and might cause something.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    jason30 likes this.
  6. Carl

Carl Senior Member

United Kingdom
    TCM links the eyes to the Liver so maybe MT is affecting a portion of your Liver detox and maybe another aspect of your Liver detox is not coping with the increase. Fatty liver might also be affecting this. Have you tried phosphatidyl-choline which is in lecithin to help with your fatty liver?

Learner1 and jason30 like this.
  7. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Okay I will keep an eye on potassium, because I always thought I was deficient in it.

8. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Interesting to know that MT inhibit nitric oxide synthase, thanks!

percyval577 likes this.
  9. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Indeed, that matches with my symptoms. I am really curious which aspect or which liver pathway it is affecting.
    Is there a way to figure this out?

Currently I only use Choline Birtrate to raise choline levels. I have tried PC (soy free) before but it gave tightened leg muscles which interupts my sleep. Not only PC gives tightened leg muscles but also other things. I still didn't figured it out what that could be.

Thanks!

10. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    milkthistle should give liverphase 2 a push-up, but also dampens one of the phase 2 processes
    http://www.ei-resource.org/easyblog...nce-phase-1-and-phase-2-liver-detoxification/

also it contains quite a lot of salicytate, when your body does not like salicytate, it leads to trouble.

Gondwanaland and jason30 like this.
  11. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Thanks a lot, that's very interesting.
    Calcium Glucarate seems to stimulate the glucuronidation pathway.
    I am gonna test if I have less reaction to Milk Thistle if I take Calcium Gluarate before it.

Salicytates are on my radar. I am gonna test some foods which are high in salicytates, to see if they give me the same blurred vision symptom as Milk Thistle does.

Thanks again!

Sundancer likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.