• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

why aren't mono patients put on anti-virals?

Threefold - evidence base didn't exist at the time and presently,

ACV was never approved for that specific indication (and it never will be) so its off-label use is required, and
I guarantee some newly graduated doctors do if they have taken virology. The licensing exams for doctors will have a question like "what's the most likely treatment for an adolescent with liver enzyme elevation, fatigue, negative for hepatitis" - the answer will be ibuprofen and bed rest.

JES

Also don't forget that antivirals only stop the replication of the virus, they don't kill the virus itself, so even if there would be a benefit, it often comes months later (at least in CFS/ME). By that time, most healthy people catching mono would already have recovered anyway.

ebethc

Also don't forget that antivirals only stop the replication of the virus, they don't kill the virus itself

I know

so even if there would be a benefit, it often comes months later (at least in CFS/ME). By that time, most healthy people catching mono would already have recovered anyway.

so, Rx it a month or two later in a followup appointment if still severely sick... gee, that was easy. :)

Last edited:

ebethc

It still might not work. I tried antivirals and they made no difference in my antibody production. (Which is why I favor the theory that it is an immune system dysfunction rather than a chronic viral infection.)

interesting... I wonder if the immune dysfunction allows the virus to "re-emerge" every once in awhile and that's why it's confusing to ppl.... b/c any herpes virus is forever (chicken pox, ebv.. etc) ..If that's the case, then taking antivirals to augment your dysfunctional immune system amounts to the same thing, right? it's kind of chicken or the egg from a patient pov, but from a medical perspective - for the purpose of root-causing the problem - it makes a difference..