• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why are not more ME and CFS patients involved in advocacy?

concepcion

This is how we are misrepresented in the UK media, with no evidence ever produced for the outrageous claims made to demonise the very patients these doctors are paid to help.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/aug/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-myalgic-encephalomyelitis

The article is from 2011, so I did a search to see if things had changed, at least at The Guardian. What's most noticeable is the lack of reference to the illness, but the little that there is focuses more on the illness being misunderstood and inappropriately treated as a psychological illness. Here are the only two articles I found, other than one speak of an assisted suicide case -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/30/me-emily-collingridge-chronic-fatigue-syndrome
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/08/me-misunderstood-health-welfare

worldbackwards

The article is from 2011, so I did a search to see if things had changed, at least at The Guardian. What's most noticeable is the lack of reference to the illness, but the little that there is focuses more on the illness being misunderstood and inappropriately treated as a psychological illness. Here are the only two articles I found, other than one speak of an assisted suicide case -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/30/me-emily-collingridge-chronic-fatigue-syndrome
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/08/me-misunderstood-health-welfare

The grauniad is remarkably adept at finding it's enemy's enemy is it's friend when it can use something to have a go at the government with (see the second article). As I recall, there was a highlighted comment on the first article when this was published, saying something along the lines of 'some people say this, some people say that, can't we all just come together in the middle and use the evidence based treatments to defeat this thing', along with other 'children are the future' style platitudes.

The left wing press are no help in the UK, by and large, as they have a strong 'Sense About Science'-esque agenda that they like to keep to. Ironically, and much as it pains me, it is the rabidly right-wing Telegraph who've been much nicer in general about us recently, although God alone knows why, it doesn't generally fit with their usual wider 'undeserving sick' line.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The grauniad is remarkably adept at finding it's enemy's enemy is it's friend when it can use something to have a go at the government with (see the second article). As I recall, there was a highlighted comment on the first one when this was published, saying something along the lines of 'some people say this, some people say that, can't we all just come together and use the evidence based treatments to defeat this thing', along with other 'children are the future' style platitudes.

The left wing press are no help in the UK, by and large, as they have a strong 'Sense About Science'-esque agenda that they like to keep to. Ironically, and much as it pains me, it is the rabidly right-wing Telegraph who've been much nicer in general about us recently, although God alone knows why, it doesn't generally fit with their usual wider 'undeserving sick' line.

Interesting. Maybe it's their finely honed 'which way the winds are blowing' political senses tingling suggesting that it's time to be more loosely tethered to the BPS school? No loyalty among the self-interested eh. Wouldn't that be something.

worldbackwards

Interesting. Maybe it's their finely honed 'which way the winds are blowing' political senses tingling suggesting that it's time to be more loosely tethered to the BPS school? No loyalty among the self-interested eh. Wouldn't that be something.

I doubt it's anything that clever! I get the feeling Charles Shepherd knows someone there (although I could well be wrong), he tends to come up in most of the positive articles. BPS is on the up over here. The DWP (amongst other BPS-related skullduggery) have a system called 'Work Related Activity', where people on disability benefits are told by a moron that they will be better in eighteen months and badgered into 'preparing for the workplace'. Most of these people are chronically ill but, once you're in the WRAG, you're sent on courses, 'reassessed' frequently and generally harassed until they can throw you to the wolves.

Recently, there are pilots ongoing where
People on sickness benefits will be required to have regular meetings with doctors, occupational health nurses and therapists to help them address their barriers to work – or face losing their benefits

These barriers presumably don't include not being fit to work - just get the attitude right and all else follows.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/help-for-people-on-sickness-benefits-to-address-barriers-to-work

Simon Wessely was knighted in the 2013 New Years Honours and has just been appointed Head of the Royal College of Psychiatry. He has been literally unavoidable over the last few weeks, particularly his dubious claims that mental illness is heavily underdiagnosed and more people need to be introduced to the wonderful world of modern psychiatry.

I sometimes wonder if we are living in a particularly cruel satire.

And it was such a nice thought as well, Snowdrop!

GcMAF Australia

The Lyme community (which according to some people here is not CFS) is actively campaigning.
In the end the Lyme campaign should help all disease sufferers.
There are a number of protests and educational attempts, with also some exposure in the literature.
I, and others are doing our utmost in this regard.
I am sorry about all the ignorance of society in the matters of health.
GcMAF

alex3619

"I sometimes wonder if we are living in a particularly cruel satire."

It does seem that way. Hmmmm. . . I'd like to exit stage left. . .

I have variously described it as living in the Twilight Zone, or the imaginings of a bad acid trip. I have also described patients as being treated as aliens ... not illegal immigrants but the grey skinned big eyed kind.

My best guess is there should be, at least, ten times as many ME and CFS advocates out there. Lyme is quite common, but even there I think there is insufficient advocacy, though I am not up on the numbers. In ME and CFS my best guess is each advocate is fighting for about ten thousand people. That is a poor ratio. One to a hundred would be ideal, though I think if we can get it to one to a thousand we will be able to change the face of advocacy.

I have no problem with the effort of individual advocates though I think we lack debate on strategy. As I said before, I think most advocates are working to their limits, and I see us falter from overdoing it quite often as well. This is both a numbers issue and a strategy issue.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I have no clear idea about how to get this going on a large scale.

The only thought I have, given how sick many of us are, is to start local (the 'grass-roots' model).
Try and educate someone we know about the illness and it's politics. This small thing will already be a slow process but it's a place to start.
Share useful information with them to face book or tweet (this probably happens already but maybe not in quite a focussed or deliberate way). I expect whatever info we need is right here and needs to be 'data mined' (if I'm using the term right).

But if a really good idea just pops into my head everyone at PR will be the first to know. ;)

*GG*

This is how we are misrepresented in the UK media, with no evidence ever produced for the outrageous claims made to demonise the very patients these doctors are paid to help.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/aug/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-myalgic-encephalomyelitis

Seems like you have a lot of professional winers in that country, guess they need some cheese. LOL So a lady is carrying around a knife, guns are illegal, right? Perhaps she had it as protection, or is that illegal now also?

Was there comments ever allowed on this rubbish piece? Is that typical?

So disgusting what he is saying, why doesn't he go to Iraq or Afghanistan now! And not with military protection, lets see how long the Weasel lasts!

GG

*GG*

I have variously described it as living in the Twilight Zone, or the imaginings of a bad acid trip. I have also described patients as being treated as aliens ... not illegal immigrants but the grey skinned big eyed kind.

Some of us in the USA wish we were illegal immigrants, truly free healthcare! Would be good for what the system is good at, not treating CFS etc.. though unfortunately!!

GG

GcMAF Australia

Here is some good news
For Lyme sufferers
and others too
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/1485ccd77360fdd3

House Passes Lyme Bill

The Lyme Disease Association, Inc., LDA, is pleased to announce that the Lyme bill, HR 4701 - "Vector-Borne Disease Research Accountability and Transparency Act of 2014" as amended, was discussed on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives today, September 9, and passed the House by voice vote.

inWaxXh6VxZjIuoRWj3YwdS5qbm4dmPb_ldvAQROwT3Q-6fCSnl5epoiddbzpIrHz0YZRLs29stpkMi14eH4bf3LEsWVuQaQ5Q5m-l6oi_p6Drw=s0-d-e1-ft

Representative Chris Gibson

"This legislation is truly constituent-driven and represents a significant step forward in what has been an extensive process," said Congressman Gibson. "For the past few years, I have worked with physicians, patient advocates, professional researchers, patients and their families throughout New York and the United States on a bill that focuses solutions. I want to thank Pat Smith and other Lyme advocate leaders for their significant and persuasive engagement and unyielding commitment to change the direction of U.S. policy to bring solutions and relief for our chronic sufferers. This bill is dedicated to those patients who have been ill for years, at times seemingly without hope, wondering if anyone in Washington was listening or cared. We hear you. We do care, and today we passed this legislation to help you get better."

The bill sets up a working group with patients and physicians at the table and contains language requiring the Secretary of HHS to submit a strategic plan to Congress to include "a plan for improving outcomes of Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases, including progress related to chronic or persistent symptoms and chronic or persistent infection and co-infections; ... a plan for improving diagnosis, treatment, and prevention."

The bill also specifies that the Working Group established shall meet at least twice each year and that it shall be subject to the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), which requires transparency in operations of the Working Group. Under FACA, meetings must be publicly announced, open, and provide an opportunity for divergent viewpoints. Minutes, as well as other records and reports must be made available to the public. FACA also stresses the importance of having a fairly balanced membership in terms of points of view represented.

"This bill provides Lyme patients with a much needed voice in the shaping of public policy in Washington, DC, in a transparent setting. All aspects of the Lyme disease question including, chronic Lyme, will be examined, with participants of differing viewpoints coming together in discussion with the same goal in mind, finding research pathways which will help find a cure for Lyme disease and prevent new cases of all tick-borne diseases," said Lyme Disease Association President, Pat Smith.

The LDA led a nationwide campaign to support this patient protective legislation and organized a letter signed by 154 Lyme & tick-borne disease groups and others that was sent to all members of the House Energy & Commerce Committee.

The LDA thanks Representative C. Gibson (NY), bill sponsor; original co-sponsors C. Smith (NJ), Courtney, Peterson, Wolf, Barletta; and other bill sponsors and Representatives who supported the bill; the Energy and Commerce Committee; and leadership of the House. Also, we appreciate the favorable remarks about the bill on the floor after Mr. Gibson spoke, from Mr. Maloney of NY, and Mr. Smith of NJ.

We also thank our partner groups nationwide who were instrumental in the effort to pass this legislation, and all Lyme groups across the country, patients, and other groups who worked on this effort. The next step for the bill is to go to the Senate, where we hope it will be given prompt consideration.

Tired of being sick

I noticed that just about or everyone on this site are above average intelligence..

So what I'm going to say is, there most likely is a considerably moderate to large number out there that have this disease but are not intelligent enough to realize it..

By nature, average to below average intelligent people are followers and followers depend and trust leaders such as doctors.

So if the doctor tells them nothing is wrong with them, these people we'll take it as that..

Meaning, that the patient will then believe they are imagining they are feeling horrible..

And most will think they are insane and most will not seek mental health therapy for the fact they are afraid to face they're REAL self..

I'm from the average intelligent side so I know this on first hand to be true,but once I was sick and tired of feeling ill all the time,I decided to face that stranger in the mirror known as my true self..

I looked at my life liken to a someone who's entire life flashes in front of them right before they exit stage left meeting meeting and welcoming death head on..

You would and will be surprised of how quickly the wisdom/intelligence grows when you meet yourself head on and are no longer afraid of death..........

taniaaust1

@GcMAF Australia Was there some kind of loss to do with getting lyme disease recognised here in Australia a few weeks or so ago? Its just someone here said to me that the lyme people here had lost their fight and I still dont know what article in our media or news story which caused him to say that.

GcMAF Australia

@GcMAF Australia Was there some kind of loss to do with getting lyme disease recognised here in Australia a few weeks or so ago? Its just someone here said to me that the lyme people here had lost their fight and I still dont know what article in our media or news story which caused him to say that.
The Chief Medical officer and the Lyme Committee put out their report.
It does not either deny or confirm Lyme is in Australia.
Certainly the government officials are now much more aware of Lyme.
and there is more press coverage and recognition by the general public.
The press can be quite conservative in trying to give balance to both sides.
It may be a long fight for a few years yet, but also there will be more and more treatment options.
Meanwhile the US gocvernment has passed a bill in one of the houses

Best regards to all.

Min

Seems like you have a lot of professional winers in that country, guess they need some cheese. LOL So a lady is carrying around a knife, guns are illegal, right? Perhaps she had it as protection, or is that illegal now also?

Was there comments ever allowed on this rubbish piece? Is that typical?

So disgusting what he is saying, why doesn't he go to Iraq or Afghanistan now! And not with military protection, lets see how long the Weasel lasts!

GG
Interestingly, the Guardian are or have been in a partnership project with UNUM.

JAM

Jill
There are so many reasons why I am not advocating right now. I'm primarily bed ridden, even as I recover, and a full time graduate student in two masters degree programs. One of the programs is Sustainable Communities, which is really a degree in advocacy and I'm writing my thesis on the benefits of therapeutic art throughout the life span of people with chronic illness. I finished a graduate certificate in Disability Policy and Practice and all of my course work for that degree last year before I completely crashed. When I graduate (fingers crossed in May) I plan to write an autoethnographic book telling my story of chronic illness along with the stories of other chronically ill patients with a variety of diagnosis. There are many ways to advocate and I have chosen telling my story and the stories of others to bring awareness to the isolation and socioeconomic effects of chronic illness.

If anyone wants to learn more about the disability rights movement in general I highly recommend the book "What We Have Done" http://www.amazon.com/What-We-Have-...ral+history+of+the+disability+rights+movement

shahida

i think most people just aren't aware of the dire political situation as it's easy to keep yourself away from it all , especially when ill. And the charities aren't always invested in being transparent- some more than others- you can be sold a 'version of events' that's been highly edited. And in relation to@ ggingues :
'Seems like you have a lot of professional winers in that country, guess they need some cheese. LOL So a lady is carrying around a knife, guns are illegal, right? Perhaps she had it as protection, or is that illegal now also?'
Yes it's illegal to carry a knife in the UK and is an imprisonable offense. Which is right and proper.