• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why am I suddenly so much worse?

NilaJones

Thank you, @taniaaust1 .

I am having a difficult time, as I have taken on obligations that I am now struggling to figure out how to fulfill without making myself much sicker. I committed to things when I was not so sick.

I am thinking that I may have multiple causes for why I am worse. Pushing to hard, as you say. Missing some supps, and others are old (I have ordered fresh). Rereading my notes on sx, I think I am still having problems from a probiotic that did not agree with me. I need to look into methyl trap. I realise I DO have significantly increased stress in my life this summer.

I think everything is adding up, and I need to address the pieces.

NilaJones

@caledonia

My B vitamins:
1-2 mcg B12 transdermal
scant niacin, transdermal
source naturals folinic acid, 400mcg
Nature's Way riboflavin 50mg
KAL pantothenic acid 25mg
Country Life P-5-P, 4mg

natrol biotin 2,500iu
source naturals PABA 25mg
Now B1 25mg

The last 3 are 2 years old; I ordered fresh. I know folinic doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me, and is slower-release than 5MF. I'd be grateful for your feedback!

NilaJones

Could niacin be a problem?

I was wondering this before and then forgot to ask :/. I have been taking B vits for years but no niacin. I just started getting a tiny bit transdermally, but could I have a deficiency?

I am skeered to take it, but I could give it a try.

caledonia

@caledonia

My B vitamins:
1-2 mcg B12 transdermal
scant niacin, transdermal
source naturals folinic acid, 400mcg
Nature's Way riboflavin 50mg
KAL pantothenic acid 25mg
Country Life P-5-P, 4mg

natrol biotin 2,500iu
source naturals PABA 25mg
Now B1 25mg

The last 3 are 2 years old; I ordered fresh. I know folinic doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me, and is slower-release than 5MF. I'd be grateful for your feedback!

You're getting a lot more folate than B12. Could be getting into methyl trapping.

Since you can only tolerate 1-2 mcg of B12, my suggestion would be to make the folinic match to that. The way I accomplish that is to only to take a tiny amount of folate (like 1mcg) two days a week.

Everybody needs a bit of niacin. Below 50mg doesn't affect methylation.

NilaJones

Thanks, @caledonia!

Would methyl trap symptoms be the same as symptoms of too little methylaton? (Is it the same thing? I am having trouble reading old threads bec sick.)

For me, the symptoms of too little methylaton are very clear -- huge increase in inflammatory pain. My current dosage reduces the pain significantly, but I still have lots of pain. What do you suppose this means?

It's been a while since we chatted. How are you doing??? And what have you been able to get your b12 dosage up to?

NilaJones

I guess I should clarify that, according to the manufacturer of the transdermal b12 I am using, I am getting 100mcg of b12. But it feels like 1mcg orally feels, so I am skeptical.

caledonia

Thanks, @caledonia!

Would methyl trap symptoms be the same as symptoms of too little methylaton? (Is it the same thing? I am having trouble reading old threads bec sick.)

For me, the symptoms of too little methylaton are very clear -- huge increase in inflammatory pain. My current dosage reduces the pain significantly, but I still have lots of pain. What do you suppose this means?

It's been a while since we chatted. How are you doing??? And what have you been able to get your b12 dosage up to?

Yes, a methyl trapping situation will cause too little methylation. That could cause an increase in inflammation.

Pain - inflammation causes pain. Besides getting your B12/folate back in balance, you could try eating a bowl of steel cut oats in the morning to provide some GLA to go with the Omega 3's in the fish oil. This should help produce good eicosanoids, aka prostaglandins, which are the body's natural painkillers. Make sure the fish oil is pharmaceutical grade or molecular distilled otherwise it could have mercury or pcb's or other fillers that might make you worse.

I'm doing ok. I've gotten my B12 up to a grand total of 20 mcg of methylcobalamin and 4 mcg of adenosylcobalamin per day.

Now I've moved on to adding in Cutler frequent dose chelation for mercury, lead and arsenic. All three of those metals can negatively impact the mitochondria and energy, and mercury and lead negatively impact methylation. So by removing those toxins, I should be able to make further progress.

I have one round of chelation under my belt and am working on getting my magnesium levels right so I can do round two. The people at the chelation forum are telling me it might be four years to get it all out, but I should see progress before then.

NilaJones

Dang it, I forgot all about a major possible explanation for me being sicker

My neighbor has been sick for 6 months with a mysterious respiratory thing. She is otherwise healthy, young, and in good shape. Has had a ton of tests but no answers (sound familiar?). I got sick 3-4 days after contact with her.

Maybe I have whatever she has... but in case I don't I have been avoiding more contact with her.

I hate that being sick nakes me forget important stuff... like why I might be sick.