When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Who's Had Their Coxsackie B Virus and Echovirus Antibody Titers Tested at ARUP Lab?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Hip, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    This is a very good question and I am going to attempt to find my labs and post them... I just went through all of my medical folders and cannot find them but am going to keep looking. I am 100% certain that on all ARUP tests, the two EV's that were positive were Coxsackie Virus 4 and Echo Virus 11 and that the titers varied but were never at the 1:320 level that Dr. Chia considered an active positive. If I can find the records, I will come back and edit this post.

Edit: I am so sorry but I do not have a paper copy of the records. There is a period of time where I lost everything to mold (and these tests were a few months after that so I should have them but I do not). :mad::bang-head::bang-head:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

@Gingergrrl the fact the titres flipped within a month raises a few questions. Would have been interesting to see what the third test showed.

What was dr chias reason for multiple tests so close together?

Did you have any progress with enteroviral treatment?

3. Banana94

Banana94 Senior Member

Switzerland
    I am also interested in this tests for coxsackie and echoviruses. But what if they come back positive? Is their any medication which helps? if their is "only" Dr. Chias Oxymatrine/Equilibrant protocol than I can rather invest the money in ordering them, than spending 500 bugs for lab testing..
    @Emootje what would be KDM's treatment if test result came back positive?

4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @knackers323 I will continue to look for the results over the weekend in case I have them in the wrong folder and missing them (but the titers had not changed much).

Dr. Chia is not my doctor and I saw him for a one-off consult in Feb 2016. He only ordered the third set of tests and not the prior ones.

He offered no treatment and said I was not a candidate for oxymatrine or equilibriant b/c of autoimmunity. He dismissed my MCAS and allergic reactions completely and made disparaging comments re: my own doctor. Overall it was not a great appt for me but it was close to 2 yrs ago and no longer even on my radar!

Edit: typos

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  5. knackers323

@Gingergrrl so you've never tried any treatment for the enterovirus?

6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    There isn't any treatment that I am aware of and I asked every doc I saw including Dr. Chia in the consult. He said I was not safe to try Equilibriant b/c I have Hashimoto's & autoimmunity. I asked him about other options but was told there were none and my EV were under 1:320 so unclear if just showing past infection. I do believe that the IVIG (that I do for another reason) could help w/EV's and other pathogens though.

7. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    @Banana94 the only antiviral KDM prescribed for me was isoprinosine. It didn't worked...

Sancar likes this.
  8. knackers323

has anyone had the ARUP test from outside the US or from the other side of the country?

they still offer it but they dont offer much help for the US $1300 odd they charge and its proving almost impossible to get done

any help would be much appreciated. anyone who got tested from australia especially

9. knackers323

I managed to get the test done
    Coxsackie b type2 1:80
    Coxsackie b type4 1:160
    Echovirus type 30 1:320
    All others <1:10

Tend to feel better with things that lower immune function though. Still very much in the dark

Hip likes this.
  10. consuegra

consuegra Senior Member

Over the years I have tried to get various ME/CFS physicians to do this ARUP test on their patients, without making any progress. No one had the slightest interest. Over the years I have tried to get many ME/CFS patients to take this ARUP coxsackie/echo test -without any success. I have never gotten one patient to do the test.

My daughter, coincidentally, took this test multiple times over a ten year period. It wasn't until I met Dr. Chia in 2007 that I realized this was the coxsackie test to do. All other tests pick up next to nothing in my daughter, including the Focus test, which I did several times simultaneously with the same blood draw, going to both Focus and ARUP. My daughter's Coxsackie B4 on ARUP was >1:640 on every test, close to ten years running, 2005-2015. Many times her Coxsackie B3 was also consistently high at 1:320

There is a serious disconnect here. Somebody seems to not want to know something.

Chris

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    halcyon and Sushi like this.
  11. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

@consuegra what is she doing for treatment? results?

12. consuegra

consuegra Senior Member

Not much for coxsackie. She has tried oxymatrine various times with no apparent results. She is too sick to take a chance on Epivir. Various pharmaceutical drugs have complicated her illness. My own feeling is that many severe patients are severe from "treatments" - Klonopin, Lorazepam, Valtrex, Elavil, Rituximab, Valcyte and so forth. At the moment we work on trying to normalize metabolites through OAT testing and working on trying to improve sleep - and ditch all pharmaceutical drugs.

Chris

aquariusgirl likes this.
  13. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I've never seen any evidence to indicate that; in fact in my recent poll, Valcyte came out as one of the best treatments for producing major improvement in ME/CFS.

See more popular forum discussions.