• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whooshing sound/feeling in neck or head?

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
I'm in the beginning stages of an experiment of testing myself for POTS and NMH using an automatic blood pressure heart rate monitor and plan on putting the results in a blog. Preliminary evidence suggests that I have POTS but probably not NMH despite dizziness etc increasing somewhat when standing up. I thought about alternative explanations for reduced blood flow to the brain despite presumably normal blood pressure. Several come to mind but one I'm considering now is chronically constricted neck arteries, because I often feel and hear a "whooshing" sound and pressure in the neck or head. It usually only becomes really noticeable under two circumstances: (1) when standing up, (2) transitory appearance at about 10-20 minutes after laying down to go to sleep. When standing up it may also be accompanied with the heart pounding sensation/sound in my head as well, but is not synonymous with it. I don't think massaging the neck has ever helped it. I wonder if a natural vasodilator would help. Does anyone have any experience with this symptom or treating it?

merylg

I had concerns regarding a family history of my Father having had a 95% blockage to one of his Carotid Arteries in his neck. He had successful surgery to remove the plaque. So I recently had a Carotid Artery Doppler Ultrasound, a simple test to have done, that reassured me there were no blockages.