• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who has experienced an *adverse* reaction to Molybdenum?

dsdmom

I just started taking molybdenum 100mg yesterday - so today was my 2nd day and I'm having some problems and 'm wondering if they are related.

First of all, yesterday I had some bad gas, which isn't too unusual when I add something new to my diet but I'm also having quasi-diarrhea (since I got sick I have horrible constipation and a slow GI tract. If I didn't take miralax I wouldn't go. I don't think I am capable of having 'normal' watery diarrhea anymore) with lots of looser stools and stomach upset. Now my stomach is very upset.

Last night my husband and I did some major cleaning/purging as we get ready to put out house on the market. Before I went to bed I was extremely sore - everything from my lower back down felt like I had run a marathon and climbed a mountain. This morning when I woke up I felt fine until I started moving around - I really felt horrible. Just sick feeling. Had some breakfast, took all my drugs, including molybdenum and went about my day. Felt decent (not 'normal' though) today although have still been having bad gas and stomach pain. But then again this evening I got hit with more pain and just feeling really poorly.

From experience, how I feel right now is not my normal 'over doing' it feeling. Last night's pain/exhaustion was definitely normal but today's feelings are not. It's different in some ways - hard to put into words, but definitely different. I am wondering if the molybdenum is contributing to me feeling not so great - GI wise and pain/sick feeling wise. I read that molybdenum at HIGH CONCENTRATIONS can cause gi upset, diarrhea, stomach pain, but I don't think they mean 100mg. Then again I'm sensitive. But I also understand that it can help w/ detox, right? So could my really feeling crappy be related to this? Should I stop/slow down?

*About a week ago, I started taking 100mg of riboflavin for headaches. It was recommended to me to go up to 400mg but I couldn't start there. With 100mg I had bad gas and then terrible stomach upset..so had to stop. Could this be a similar reaction?

antherder

I had some nasty gut pains when I started taking molybdenum (250mg). They seemed to taper off after a while, but I've felt significantly worse in general ever since. Lots more dizzy spells and have been very weak. Not taking it regularly anymore. I think it's probably a detox reaction for me as I took the molybdenum due to a sulfite sensitivity which I think may be caused by excess unbound copper.

Why are you taking it? (if you don't mind me asking.) One thing that concerns me about it, is that it apparently works together with fluoride, which is definitely something I don't want to happen as I know I have too much fluoride in my body. Think badly mottled teeth. Yippee. Curiously, I don't sweat as much when I take molybdenum so it has it's good points.

I have trouble introducing any supplements. Usually have a bad reaction to everything, so can relate!

dannybex

MILLIGRAMS...or micrograms...?

Do you both mean milligrams, or are you talking about micrograms?

100 mcgs should not create the symptoms you describe (not sure about 250mcgs), but 100 - 250 milligrams of almost any mineral (except perhaps calcium or magnesium) is a high amount -- and would be considered extremely high for moly-b.

???

dsdmom

Sorry...micrograms, mcg.
And I know that this amount shouldn't produce problems, but my body seems to react strongly to lots of things it shouldn't...

camas

Years ago my doctor had me on molybdenum for its anti-candida properties. I don't remember it creating die-off symptoms, but maybe that's what you are experiencing?

richvank

Molydenum problem

I just started taking molybdenum 100mg yesterday - so today was my 2nd day and I'm having some problems and 'm wondering if they are related.

First of all, yesterday I had some bad gas, which isn't too unusual when I add something new to my diet but I'm also having quasi-diarrhea (since I got sick I have horrible constipation and a slow GI tract. If I didn't take miralax I wouldn't go. I don't think I am capable of having 'normal' watery diarrhea anymore) with lots of looser stools and stomach upset. Now my stomach is very upset.

Last night my husband and I did some major cleaning/purging as we get ready to put out house on the market. Before I went to bed I was extremely sore - everything from my lower back down felt like I had run a marathon and climbed a mountain. This morning when I woke up I felt fine until I started moving around - I really felt horrible. Just sick feeling. Had some breakfast, took all my drugs, including molybdenum and went about my day. Felt decent (not 'normal' though) today although have still been having bad gas and stomach pain. But then again this evening I got hit with more pain and just feeling really poorly.

From experience, how I feel right now is not my normal 'over doing' it feeling. Last night's pain/exhaustion was definitely normal but today's feelings are not. It's different in some ways - hard to put into words, but definitely different. I am wondering if the molybdenum is contributing to me feeling not so great - GI wise and pain/sick feeling wise. I read that molybdenum at HIGH CONCENTRATIONS can cause gi upset, diarrhea, stomach pain, but I don't think they mean 100mg. Then again I'm sensitive. But I also understand that it can help w/ detox, right? So could my really feeling crappy be related to this? Should I stop/slow down?

*About a week ago, I started taking 100mg of riboflavin for headaches. It was recommended to me to go up to 400mg but I couldn't start there. With 100mg I had bad gas and then terrible stomach upset..so had to stop. Could this be a similar reaction?

Hi, dsdmom.

Here's what I suggest is going on: Molybdenum is used to make a cofactor for three enyzmes in the body. One of them is sulfite oxidase, which converts sulfite into sulfate. I suggest that when you take molybdenum, you are speeding up that reaction, so that more sulfate is produced. I further suspect that you have sulfate-reducing bacteria in your gut. These bacteria convert sulfate into hydrogen sulfide gas. When this gas is produced at high enough levels, it rises in the blood. It is a toxin at high levels, and can produce a variety of symptoms.

My suggestion would be to have a good stool test run, such as the Diagnos-Techs Expanded GI Panel. This requires a doctor's order. If that isn't feasible, you can order either the Metametrix GI Function test or the Genova Diagnostics Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis from www.directlabs.com without a doctor's order. You can collect the sample at home, ship the kit to the lab, and the results will be sent directly to you. One of these tests should give you a good picture of what is causing your gut problems, and then you can figure out what to do about it.

In addition, I would suggest getting the home do-it-yourself urine hydrogen peroxide test from www.proteabiopharma.com in Belgium. It costs about $40 in U.S. money. You can run this test yourself on a urine sample at home, and you will be able to see if you have elevated hydrogen sulfide production by bacteria in your gut. That should help to nail down whether moly is acting in the way I suggested above. If so, it should be possible to correct the bacterial dysbiosis and get your gut running normally again.

Best regards,

Rich

antherder

Do you both mean milligrams, or are you talking about micrograms????

dannybex,

Um, yes, sorry, I meant to say 250mcg. The molybdenum capsules are actually 1000mcg, but didn't want to risk taking that much to start with.

I started taking 150 mcg Molybdenum yesterday to help detox acetalhydes that I believe are building up due to candida/other yeast and funga die off.

Within an hour of taking the molybdenum, I started to feel nauseous, tired, and ended up with diarrhea several times for the next few hours. By last night I was starting to feel better. I wasn't sure if it was definitely the molybdenum or not, so I took 150 mcg again this morning and the same thing happened - just without the diarrhea.

Should I assume this is just detox reactions and continue with the molybdenum? Or should I be concerned about potentially causing more harm than good here? Thanks for any input!

I didn't take the molybdenum yesterday and only took 1/3 tablet today. Yesterday I had so much muscle weakness and achiness, but most stomach issues subsided. I did notice, however, both yesterday and today that my stool is now a much lighter color - almost like clay. Could the molybdenum be causing this?

I'm going to stay at a lower dose - 1/2 - 1/3 tablet for the new few days as long as I can manage the symptoms and see what happens. I'm assuming this is just a detox reaction . . . at least I hope!

Wonko

Molybendum was one of the sups I used to take.

I initially found it beneficial, at that time I was fairly functional physically but with significant cognative impairment and I was in a lot of pain almost all the time.

Molybendum definately seemed to help (less pain, cramps, muscle lockups, slightly more stamina, a bit stronger etc.) for the first 6 weeks or so and then it tailed off - like so many other sups do.

I dont remember the side effects your mentioning, they may have happened, they may not, life wasnt fun then and a little extra misery just wouldnt have registered.

In your position if the symptoms your getting still an issue in a few more days I'd probably discontinue use. If they are seriously distressing I'd discontinue immediately.

Joopiter76

Hi,

stool colour change seems to be a sign of detox, also the loose stools. When there is a deficiency of molybdenum and abuild up of sulfites an dyyou give molybdenum then the sulfites will be turned into sulfate which uses the body to detox cell and make toxins soluble. So the reaction may come from this. another possibility is that it is molybden SULFAT and you cant tolerate sulfate the third possibility is that its Molybdenum-yeast and if you have a histamine problem you may not tolerate it in form of yeast.
I can tell you that the gut problems inceased with my "turnaround" they where unbelievable I can tell you and this took months to become littel better now more than a year has gone and its sill an issue for me. But this is what things go. I would suggest you take charcoal to bind toxins. And I woould find a does that you can stand.

Hi Joopiter,

Thanks so much for your input. I hate to be a pain, but this is all so new to me and I just am having a really hard time understanding much of it. I'm hoping that the first option you mentioned is what is going on and the discolored stool is a sign of toxins being excreted.

If it's not though, you mentioned it could be molybdenum SULFAT or molybdenum-yeast. Is there a way to know for sure if that is the case? I don't know what exactly either of them mean so I'm not sure how to figure out which one it is!

The other strange thing I'm noticing is that I seem to get nauseous about 2 hours after I eat. Strangely enough, if I then eat something (even just a small amount) the nausea goes away and I feel better. I only took about 50 mcg molybdenum today and the symptoms are definitely not as bad. I will try some charcoal tonight to try to bind the toxins.

Joopiter76

Hi,

do you want me to feel even more pain ??? ha, ha...
I had nausea problems for over a year but they quite gone now. Improve your food intake. In my case everything that is hot makes me very worse. pepper, onions, paprika (even if it seems not to be hot) and so on. Vanilla and cinnamon are bad as well and alcohol even small amounts (moybdenum is needed to break them down, so defenciency causes problems with breakdown) then I would lower sulfor containing food. If you do the H2S toxin test an its positive I would lower sulfur containing food very much. try to cut off diary products, eggs, malt containing bread (eat white bread because is hast the lowes amount of gluten.
Try out what it is. In my case hot food and diary was most responsible but as well it is the whole situation of the body. consider gluten free food, maybe it helps maybe not.

Vegas

Hi,

do you want me to feel even more pain ??? ha, ha...
I had nausea problems for over a year but they quite gone now. Improve your food intake. In my case everything that is hot makes me very worse. pepper, onions, paprika (even if it seems not to be hot) and so on. Vanilla and cinnamon are bad as well and alcohol even small amounts (moybdenum is needed to break them down, so defenciency causes problems with breakdown) then I would lower sulfor containing food. If you do the H2S toxin test an its positive I would lower sulfur containing food very much. try to cut off diary products, eggs, malt containing bread (eat white bread because is hast the lowes amount of gluten.
Try out what it is. In my case hot food and diary was most responsible but as well it is the whole situation of the body. consider gluten free food, maybe it helps maybe not.

"In my case everything that is hot makes me very worse. pepper, onions, paprika (even if it seems not to be hot) and so on. Vanilla and cinnamon are bad as well"

Which suggests that these substances are irritating your intestinal mucosa, and you are already dealing with a lot of inflammation.

"try to cut off diary products, eggs, malt containing bread (eat white bread because is hast the lowes amount of gluten."

Or better yet, avoid all grains, esp. refined bread. Even more important if you respond to yeast strains like sach boulardii.

"If you do the H2S toxin test an its positive I would lower sulfur containing food very much. try to cut off diary products, eggs, malt containing bread (eat white bread because is hast the lowes amount of gluten."

I would venture a guess that efforts to directly displace the bad bacteria are more important in reducing H2S than limiting dietary sulfur. Obviously many will be need to limit sulfur-rich foods, but the bigger "bang for the buck" will involve efforts to resolve the dysbiosis. Just my humble opinion.

I am researching molybdenum & wondering how others have reacted to introducing this supplement.

Has anyone had an adverse reaction to this supplement?

Lotus97

Years ago my doctor had me on molybdenum for its anti-candida properties. I don't remember it creating die-off symptoms, but maybe that's what you are experiencing?
Molybdenum is actually supposed to help with acetaldehyde from candida by breaking it down into acetic acid which can either be excreted or converted into acetyl coenzyme A.
http://www.serenityvibrationhealing.com/hlp_products/molybdenum/molybdenum_info.htm

Molybdenum can cause detox symptoms for other reasons. There's more info in this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/molybdenum-and-transsulfuration-pathway.9387/