• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who has done 2-day CPET?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Update and Good News!

Five days prior to my scheduled 2-day CPET, I received a letter granting approval for my disability claim. Thus, I did not have to submit myself to the test. The timing could not have been better and I am thankful and relieved.

I'm hoping to hear you've climbed out of your crash, @NK17.

Glad to hear you don't have to undergo the test, @SDSue. It would have been interesting to know how it affected you and what your results were, but I think maybe it's too hazardous to undertake when already having such low function.

Is your disability claim approval indefinite?

SDSue

Southeast
Is your disability claim approval indefinite?
I'm not sure yet. I'm waiting for my packet that contains all the details. They didn't approve me back to the actual date of my disability, but I will not appeal, as that risks the entire decision not just the date of onset. Too risky!

And yes, I knew the 2-day was a huge risk, as I'm currently hovering around a 2-3. I'm so happy I didn't have to risk so much!

Also very happy for you, @SDSue ! That's great news! I'm still dithering about whether to do the 2-day in Ithaca. I'm seeing my doctor today.

I said I'd report on my submaximal: the sports centre staffer was very open and supportive, but had never worked with someone like me before. I did 18 minutes on a treadmill, going from a very slow walk to a medium jog before I got to my anaerobic threshold. He tested it by taking a blood test from a prick on my finger every three minutes, and stopping when I got just past the threshold.

The results were that my anaerobic threshold (he said we're always working somewhat aerobically and anaerobically, it's just that we shift from mostly one to the other) is 113 bpm. So, I'll increase the rate on my heart monitor from 97 to about 105.

It was disappointing that he couldn't give an evaluation of how "healthy" I was based on this, because apparently this can only be done by comparing one's submaximal effort with a test where you do your maximum, and I wasn't doing that. He also couldn't compare me with his other clients, as they are very well-trained athletes.

He thought at first from my self-description that I might not even register enough for the computer to give results, but I was "normal" enough for that.

I was crashed for 3 days, but not terribly. However, still very concerned about what maximal effort for 2 days would do (plus the trip, etc.)

Also, I contacted Jarod Stevens at Workwell a while back, and he responded very promptly. He said only Workwell in California and Betsy Keller in Ithaca are places he knows of that do the 2-day test according to their protocol.

SDSue

Southeast
Thanks for the update, @Singout. I'm glad you were at least able to get an accurate anaerobic threshold. Increasing your HR monitor will hopefully give you the ability to do a bit more without crashing….. and that's always a good thing!

Please do keep us posted if you undergo further testing.