• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who first called it a 'phobia of movement'?

Groggy Doggy

No one seems to be held accountable for the all of the sick people suffering in the world.

I am more worried about how to survive since I can't get my health insurance to pay for my medications I need. But our tax dollars find a way to the military budget. I am less concered about a nuclear weapon or a terrorist attack.

No one seems to care about stats, according to the CDC, that 53 million adults in the US live with a disability

"In the United States, one out of every five adults has a disability, according to a new study published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The most common functional disability type was a mobility limitation – defined as serious difficulty walking or climbing stairs -- reported by one in eight adults, followed by disability in thinking and/or memory, independent living, vision, and self-care."

The nuclear health bomb has already dropped and it has disabled 53 million adults. Is anyone paying attention?

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2015/p0730-us-disability.html

Last edited:

u&iraok

Effi, you are a love. This is basically what I was looking for. I had a 'friend' search sci-hub, and it appears that the original 1990 paper is irretrievable.

I recognize the authors there. The abstract is dazzling in its illogic. Here are the points they make in order.

• PW CFS and FM have significant pain and worsening of symptoms on or after exertion.
  • This causes an understandable wariness of exertion.
  • Despite that, we have pathologized this 'understandable' behavior and invented a questionnaire to measure it.
  • Our study showed that fear of movement correlates to severity of symptoms: the worse your symptoms, the more you fear exertion
  • Treatment with GET requires identifying these patients who are worst off and tailoring GET and CBT programs for them.

This reminds me of that saying, 'just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me'. Of course we have an understandable wariness of exertion because exertion hurts us. It's logical--fear what hurts you. Fear is good.

I just recently ran around the yard with a dog and crashed. There was an exact moment of CRASH! It's taking me a long time to recover from it. I hope I do. And I hear about people who crashed after exertion and never recovered and/or became bedridden. Am I afraid of exertion? Yes. Fear is good. Don't give me GET and CBT to remove my helpful fear.

They should be blindfolded and shot. Just kidding, but they dont have CFS/ME!
Psychiatrists should understand you. But they don't even get this. They are frightened if you say this to them. I don't have specific experience have been too level headed trough my live not to say it, even when angry. But I can deduce this from much milder disagreements with them. Psychiatrists generally can't handle what they teach and what they should be capable to handle, not even close. Reason is they don't have long therapy background so they are too emotionally attached to them self.

It's normal to have thoughts to harm someone who tries to harm you. Its normal to have these thoughts against people you are angry. It's not normal to act on these thoughts. And generally people suppress these and don't speak of them, but maybe they should. Not in those terms you said, there is too much risk someone not normal will act on them, but milder and more reasonable.

Personally hope everyone who thinks ME/CFS is mental illness gets to experience it through someone close to them before getting ill them self :devil:. This isn't so noxious to them as they can just shed these beliefs away with CBT and GET. And if they can't and find out this is "real" illness, then they got what they deserved.

Mithriel

Actually, I think it mischaracterizes us to say we fear exercise, we avoid it because we know the consequences. Yet if there is a good enough reason I will happily do what I know will cause me to relapse - once I walked down the beach to feel the water on my toes for the sheer delight of it even though I knew I would spend the next few days in bed. If I am to have any life at at all I must do things that I know are too much.

It also ignores the fact that we often don't know we have done too much at the time. Personally, I get payback after 3 days and that is the first I know that I overstepped my limits. The variability of ME, a cardinal symptom recognized by Ramsay, means we can never predict enough to experience fear.

Anyway, I have never known anyone with ME who did too little. We constantly battle with ourselves to stop doing too much because our lives are so limited anyway. If we have a fear it is that one day we will be forced to exceed our limits so that we become bed bound and helpless.

Mithriel

JaimeS

Agreed, Mithriel. When I was most ill, my payback would come right away. Now it typically comes 24 hours after I've overdone it, even if I get some yellow-alert symptoms in the moment.

-J

alex3619

Actually, I think it mischaracterizes us to say we fear exercise, we avoid it because we know the consequences.
My problem is I do not fear activity enough. I forget. Then I do something I shouldn't. Then I crash. This not only applies to movement, but also to other things like dietary limitations.

Here is the joking part: I think it might be valid to teach new patients to fear activity. A new kind of therapy. Let us call it Good Fear Therapy.

Here is the serious part: I think fear is inappropriate, but systematic training of wariness would be very helpful to enable pacing of activity. When is someone going to try that in a study?