August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Which supplement has done the most for you?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by overtheedge, Aug 3, 2018.

1. overtheedge

overtheedge Senior Member

It's all in the title

2. sufferingwithme

sufferingwithme

Inosine. It has made me feel much better. I highly recommend it, felt much much better on it. it’s affordable, and you’ve got nothing to lose.

I improved 1-2 points on Inosine. People have different bioavailabilitys.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    A bunch have helped me on different occasions.

DGL - This has healed my gastritis and whenever i feel any discomfort i take 1 chewable tablet.
    Boswellia - Very anti-inflammatory, really helps with my asthma and pain in joints and muscles
    Quercetin - reduces my sinusitis to a minimum

4. Moof

Moof Senior Member

UK
    B12 injections and methylfolate, without a doubt. After that, sodium DCA.

5. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    DPPIV
    theanine
    GABA
    B12

sb4 likes this.
  6. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    Lysine. The only supplement that did anything positive.

panspermia, Sidny, Tammy and 2 others like this.
  7. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Though not for ME/CFS, with enough other conditions many supplements have done much for me (along with diet). If I had to choose only 1 it would be ascorbic acid.

8. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    I am noticeably better in periods when I am using a decent probiotic. Otherwise High dose Vitamin C or Niacin flushes provide me with a small reset when I feel very bad and ''inflamed''.

9. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

T2 or iodine (some converts to T2) is the only one that provides reliable improvement, one dose every 21 days. Cumin is an effective PEM blocker for me, but I don't know if that qualifies as a supplement. Other supplements, such as l-carnitine, apigenin and thiamine provided some benefits for a limited time, then stopped having a noticeable effect.

Since we all seem to have a wide range of side effects from the core ME/CFS dysfunction, which supplements are effective depends on the individual.

sb4 likes this.
  10. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    overtheedge likes this.
  11. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    The supplements work together - one alone isn't going to do much. These have helped me the most:
    • Glutathione
    • Alpha lipoic acid
    • Custom amino acid blend
    • Phosphatidyl choline
    • B12
    • Pyridoxal-5-phosphate
    • Riboflavin-5-phosphate
    • NAD+

overtheedge and ChrisD like this.
  12. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

*Thymosin Alpha-1
    Thymosin Beta-4
    BCP-157

These are immune modulating peptides, but are not the oral or sublingual Russian peptides (which I don't think do anything and are easily destroyed). These are sub-q injections. I get them form a compounding pharmacy, but they are also available on many "research peptide" sites. They moved me from bedbound to doing 1-2 errands a week and even low-energy socializing. It basically removed all of my inflammation and malaise.

*I think Thymosin Alpha-1 is the peptide that is doing most, if not all, of the immune modulation. I started all 3 at once as I was desperate. But I re-researched the peptides,and I am now thinking of taking stopping the other two, one at a time to see if I need them and to save money.

panspermia, sb4 and Learner1 like this.
  13. Judee

Judee Senior Member

Wisconsin
    The only thing that does anything for me is Red Marine Algae and I can only take that on the bad days as it affects my heart a bit.

Like lots of you, many times when I find something that works, it stops working very soon after or if I slack off and stop taking it, then the next time I try it it doesn't work. :(

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  14. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Kratom - the only thing I have found that works for long term pain management. It also gives a bit of smooth energy too

15. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Carcinine (glycoxil) = mTOR inhibitor, lifted fatigue completely but made me crash after 2 weeks

P5P lifted fatigue but I crashed after 2 weeks

B2 helped me sleep the whole night again - I have to pulse it otherwise I have no histamine in the morning to get out of bed

Magnesium oxide restored glucuronidation and helped me tolerate a lot of foods again

Currently I'm not tolerating any supps

sb4 and Judee like this.
  16. Judee

Judee Senior Member

Wisconsin
    Wow. I'm not sure I've ever heard it used to improve sleep. We have been working really hard this week to switch our hours around.

I've tried 5-htp and on a different night L-tryptophan which knock me out but for some reason give me really bad neuro symptoms as well as a return of my IBS. (Not sure why.) :(

:) Thanks, @Gondwanaland. I think you gave me something safer to try. Plus, my mom is histamine intolerant so we can hopefully add this to her histamine cutting regime. :thumbsup:

17. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Excess serotonin in the gut (from taking Tryptophan) causes IBS-D - from google search:
    Good luck!

I use about two miligrams of B2 at bedtime. I don't want to generate an increased need for other vitamins and minerals from taking too much of one thing.

sb4 likes this.
  18. Judee

Judee Senior Member

Wisconsin
    Awww...thank you.:D:D

I should have researched it better online before taking it. I took the 5-htp about 2 years ago too and the L-tryptophan when I was a teen and don't remember issues but then I'm older now and this disease is more progressed especially in the last year or so.

I'm going to stay away from them for now but will try the B2.
    Thanks for the dosage too. Our capsules say they are 100mg so we'll just open one up and take a pinch. That makes sense to not load up on a heavy dose of just the one type.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  19. S-VV

S-VV Senior Member

My anti bacterial metabolites drink helps:
    -A liter of orange juice
    -4g ascorbic acid
    (These two for endotoxins)
    -800mgs of Magnesium
    -Two teaspoons of malic acid
    (These two to neutralize excess D-Lactate)

The supplement that made the biggest direct impact was MMS. It cuts right into Lyme and fungal flares.

The one time I went into remission (but overworked, underslept and ate a horrible diet, loosing all da gainz) was after serious use uf bovine colostrum, and an E-coli probiotic.

20. ruben

ruben

suffolk
    Does anyone have any suggestions at all as to what length of time you give a supplement to work, before you abandon it?

eves21 and overtheedge like this.

See more popular forum discussions.