• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which probiotic?

outdamnspot

Reuteri, culturelle, align are all lactic acid producing.. all of the lactobacillus/bifidobacterium are lactic acid probiotics. Bimuno is a prebiotic..

Isn't the problem D-Lactic acid? I bought an expensive D-Lactic-Acid-free probiotic from custom probiotics (which I've yet to try). The company said the strains will still produce Lactic Acid, but they couldn't tell me if Lactic Acid will convert into D-Lactic Acid.

How do we replenish non-existent lacto/bifido levels without taking probiotics?

renski

Yep it is a problem (D-lactate) but I don't think it's a problem for everyone (I could be wrong), sounds like we should be avoiding acidophilus because of the leaky gut problem rather then the fact it produces D-lactate. I think you're on the right path, prebiotics is the other way to increase bifidobacterium.. unsure about lactobacillus but it seems taking a bifidobacterium probiotic can also increase lactobacillus in the gut.

outdamnspot

I bought some L. reuteri because Ken from CFSremission mentions that it increases B12 production. However, I've also read that it raises histamine. Are not all increases in histamine necessarily bad?

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/these-probiotic-strains-lower-histamine-rather-than-raising-it/

Rather excitingly to me, this new study proves something I’ve been talking about for ages – that not all histamine is bad for us. Lactobacillus reuteri causes histidine to convert to histamine, but this particular histamine raises cAMP (this is good!), and kills inflammation! This study finally backs up the assertion that not all histamine is bad and as such should not be entirely eliminated from the diet.

actup

Can I ask what specific benefits you see from Miyarisan?
Sorry but had missed your question re: benefits of Miyarisan. Prior to starting the 3x/day regimen( six pills/dose) I had been experiencing thrush accompanied by mild nausea and full blown crash symptoms every 3-4 weeks for the past four years. Fluconazole (200mg every 12 hrs for a total of three doses) cleared this up quickly each time with some PEM.

I have not had any of these episodes since starting Miyarisan seven mos ago. One exception( episode of thrush and severe ibs-d symptoms) occurred recently when I cut back to twice/day dosing for six wks. I restarted the three doses per day regimen and have a much happier gut and so far no thrush recurrence and have had resolution of the ibs issues.

The three times per day dosing seems important for this regimen to work.

outdamnspot

I can't seem to win so far. Experimenting with probiotics produces such severe crashes that I'm left almost completely disabled. I've tried:

1. The Custom Probiotics D-Lactate-Free formula. I felt sick, more malaised/inflamed, stools looked like mud etc. Gave up after 3 days.

2. S. Boulardii -- pretty tolerable actually, sleep/anxiety improved and I felt less sick, but also a bit emotionally blunted.

3. Currently trying L. Reuteri -- took it before bed and spent the whole first day feeling malaised and foggy, with diarrhea, foul-smelling stools etc. Day 2 (today), I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck .. I can tell it's going to be another miserable day.

I was hoping the Reuteri would be more tolerable, given everything Ken's written on it. I'm not sure if these are 'herxes' and I should be pushing through them, or if it's something else. According to this -- http://www.fda.gov/downloads/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/gras/noticeinventory/ucm287952.pdf -- Reuteri increases D-Lactate.

I've ordered Symbioflor 2, so otherwise will try that next.

I took Symbioflor-2 over a three week period and my cfs symptons worsened as a result. I slowly ramped up the dosage over the 3 weeks - getting up to 21 drops per day in the end. In the third week I experienced worsening cfs symptons and severe depression (the worst I've ever experienced). The depression took 3 days to abate after I stopped taking them and one month later, I am yet to return to my prior level of functioning. It seems I have reacted badly to this ecoli probiotic - my post exertion malaise and reading/concentrating threshold have both dropped dramatically.

I haven't had any problems taking L.Reuteri, Equilbrium, Prescript Assist or any other for that matter (except Symbioflor-2). Neither have I noticed any improvement from taking probiotics.