• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHEN DEFINITIONS OBSCURE: A NEUROINFLAMMATORY VIEW OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME PT. IV

rlc

Hi. Marco, RE

You may disagree.

I do, I'm I realy expected to believe that hundreds of people in the ME epidemics, suddenly simultaneously came down with an abnormal balance between glutamate and gaba, with no underlying cause in a matter of weeks often all in the same Hospital???

Cort can propose that there is no discrete disease involved all he likes, but the historical litrature on ME, quite clearly shows that his views don't even begin to make sense.

Personally I think he should leave medicine and science to the people who have spent years of their lives getting qulified, who know what they are talking about.

All the best

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Hi. Marco, RE

I do, I'm I realy expected to believe that hundreds of people in the ME epidemics, suddenly simultaneously came down with an abnormal balance between glutamate and gaba, with no underlying cause in a matter of weeks often all in the same Hospital???

Cort can propose that there is no discrete disease involved all he likes, but the historical litrature on ME, quite clearly shows that his views don't even begin to make sense.

Personally I think he should leave medicine and science to the people who have spent years of their lives getting qulified, who know what they are talking about.

All the best

In the case of the Royal Free Hospital we were talking about an encephalitis?

Glutamate released by Japanese encephalitis virus-infected microglia involves TNF-α signaling and contributes to neuronal death.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22144112

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Japanese-encephalitis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Which may be one route into what we term ME/CFS but very few of us were involved in an epidemic and many of us didn't have a viral onset let alone one that left us hospitalised for weeks as was the case at the Royal Free.

I've no idea what Cort feels about what I'm proposing. Its my blog!

I would imagine he's willing to entertain the possibility without committing to any particular unproven theory as I'm sure he has seen many of them come and go over the years.