May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wheelchair Training Guide

Discussion in 'Information and Resources' started by lior, Sep 7, 2018.

1. lior

lior Senior Member

London
    Judee, Wolfcub, Moof and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Senior Member

SW UK
    Those links are really useful @lior
    We often don't think about the aspects of using a wheelchair, but the reality hits when we have one and have to learn.
    If ever I have to use one I hope it will be a 4-wheel drive to get me across my favourite fields! :balloons:

lior likes this.
  3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I haven’t used a wheelchair yet, but it’s on my mind a lot lately, since I can rarely go out anymore. I can’t walk for long and I get so dizzy I can’t stand stil, either.

But there is no way I would be able to push myself on a wheelchair. And since it’s only me, I have no one to push me. Do people with ME manage to use a manual wheelchair by themselves ? Electric ones are sooo expensive, and you need to have a big shed or garage for them. Sigh...

lior likes this.
  4. lior

lior Senior Member

London
    @Dechi I've been thinking about the same things. I also don't have anyone to push me.

I tried out a manual wheelchair in a shop and it was easier than I thought it would be. It didn't require a lot of power to move it... but it was just short distances, and on a flat surface.

My plan is to try one out at a gallery where they have wheelchair hire in a couple of weeks, with a friend. Hopefully it will be a manual one that I can push (not just for being pushed by someone else, though this is likely). Testing it out is really the best way, I think.

I'm not planning to spend money on something I don't know is right for me. I will try before I buy.

I suspect that a manual one will still take a bit of energy to move around, but it will be so much less energy spent than walking. My worry is going up the slight hills in my neighbourhood.

A lot of wheelchairs are foldable so I'm not worried about the space issue.

Dechi likes this.
  5. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I would love it if you let me know how it was ! In my case, an additional problem, I think folding and mostly lifting the wheelchair to put it in my trunk and in and out of the house would make me crash.

It’s a fantastic option when you have someone to help though.

lior likes this.
  6. lior

lior Senior Member

London
    @Dechi there are lightweight ones but they are more expensive. In the UK I think it may be possible to get a wheelchair for free, or a voucher for a wheelchair at the cost of the wheelchair that the NHS would have given you, to be put towards a more expensive one.

But that process will take a lot of energy to go through... going to the doctors, and I'll bet there's paperwork, etc.

Dechi likes this.
  7. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

There might be something of the sort in Canada. I tried to have one loaned to me by the local government clinic but they only allow 3 months loan and as they say « you don’t qualify if it’s ONLY to enjoy being outside or go to the mall ». It has to be to go to the doctor’s 2-3 times a week... What kind of crap is that ?

Thanks for your infos, it’s kind of boosting me a little bit to try harder.

8. lior

lior Senior Member

London
    @Dechi Woah that sounds grossly unfair. They're happy for people to be homebound unless it's to see a doctor? Ughh.

A 3 month loan... if that was the case for me, I would see it as an experiment to see what difference it made to my life. Though I only go to the doctor a couple of times a month so I wouldn't qualify in Canada. I don't know what the rules are here.

Go you! Knowing there are other people in the same boat is good for me too :)

Dechi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.