• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair advice

Snookum96

Hello,

I have just started researching what kind of wheelchair to get and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. There are so many different kinds!

It's primarily for things like grocery shopping, appointments etc. My husband doesn't mind pushing but the loaners ones we have tried hurt his back because he has to bend over too much. So basically adjustable height is the only thing I know I need.

Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, that they could share?

Last edited:

Valentijn

Transfer chairs are the lightest and easiest to transport. But also generally the least adjustable, and the least comfortable. They have 4 small wheels, none of which can be pushed by the person sitting in the chair. Transport chairs are completely useless on grass or gravel.

Wheelchairs can be pushed by the person in the chair, though of course we can't push ourselves. But it can be useful for rolling yourself a foot or two in a different direction to get out of someone's way, or turning your chair around when your pusher gets distracted and leaves you facing a wall or corner :cautious: Wheelchairs tend to be a lot sturdier, and with the bigger wheels they can handle rougher terrain and curbs much more easily.

My preference is a wheelchair. They give me a lot more control, even if I can't do a lot with it. And they're useful in many more situations that the transport chair. There are a lot of different options, regarding weight, adjustability, comfort, sturdiness, etc. Some also have legs which can be elevated, which might be nice if you OI problems, but would probably make maneuvering and assembly more complicated.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I have a standard kind of robust wheelchair that my husband pushes. He is tall but doesn't seem to have to bend to push it. It has provision for me to push it too but that doesn't happen unless like @Valentijn I am in someone's way or facing a wall ;).

It is probably a bit big for me as I am slight, but I use a cushion behind my back which works out well. I got mine from a secondhand Internet site. At the time I thought that I wouldn't spend much on it as I would most likely not need it for long. Hahaha. :lol: That was three years ago!

Could you visit a mobility aids showroom? In Australia these places have a few models to choose from and you can get to try them out and see what might be best for you. They will also come out to your home and bring a few for you to have a look at if a visit to the showroom isn't possible. If $ are tight, you could get an idea about what you want from the showroom, then hunt around on the net.

Initially, I had to get my head around the fact that I needed a wheelchair. Now I just accept it as a part of my life which greatly increases my ability to get out and about when I am up to it. See me in my photo making the most of it in a borrowed beach wheelchair :thumbsup:.

Snookum96

I tried to find a showroom @AndyPandy but the only place that had one I found them really uncomfortable. I really don't like sitting up straight and some of them kind of forced me to do that.
I might be able to get government funding for part it which would be nice.

I did plan to buy a cheap one because in the back of my mind I keep thinking this is all going to magically disappear too! If I can get some funding I might just have to check out the fancy ones.

I didn't know beach wheelchairs existed that's awesome!

@Valentijn we tried one last week that a place provides and I did get left in a corner a few times. We also ran over a decent sized curb once and it was kinda funny!

Having my legs up would be nice because after sitting for more than a couple minutes when I stand up my legs are glued to the floor. I didn't even know that was an option. As long as I don't start knocking stuff off shelves:lol:.