• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whats the best over-the-counter sleeping pill ?

Bansaw

I've had some insomnia in the past three weeks.
I thought I had it under control the past week with herbal valerian, skullcap etc, and cherry juice, but it returned last night and I didn't go down until 4:30am. Can't afford that.

What is the best over the counter sleeping pill ?

(I don't intend to take this every night, just on those nights where I sense I might be facing a 4am deal.
Already I am taking some sleepytime tea and having an hour unwind etc, and thats been helpful , but for some reason it didn't work last night.)

Thinktank

+1 for benadryl or other H1 antagonists like ceterizine.

Try to eat something salty with carbs at 4 am, take magnesium (glycinate or malate) and try to sleep again. That usually works for me when waking so early. I eat a small bag of lays potato chips.

Perhaps, a low dose mirtazapine? Not OTC but it might help.

dannybex

If you take melatonin doesn't that mess your body's natural production up?
I don't believe so.

Examine.com is a reliable source for supplement/nutrition information. They review studies to come to their conclusions and say this about melatonin:

"Taking melatonin is not associated with negative feedback (when taking supplementation causes your body to produce less of a hormone). It is also not addictive, and is not toxic."

Jessie 107

I was having trouble with getting to sleep, I would be awake till 1. am most nights.
I now use Nytol, and they have done the trick.
I take one twenty minutes before going to sleep.
I am asleep now by eleven every night without fail.

dreamydays

Phenibut 500-1000mg is like heaven, you should only take it twice a week or you will develop tolerance problelems. These can be helped by taking fascoracetam 20mg every morning even days off. If you are not taking a racetam drug you are missing out. They make your brain work a bit more like normal. Both are available from www.nootropicsdepot.com