• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What testing should I get?

Like others have mentioned, this whole methylation thing is incredibly confusing. I have seen many talk about tests they have got done like 23andme..... What will that help me with? Any other tests out there that will help determine what I should be taking?

Along with the typical ME symptoms, I have terrible gut issues and don't know what type of diet would be best for me. Can any testing help me in this regard?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
You need to be specific about your gut? Constipation, bloat, diahrea? It could anything from IBS, Candida to who knows what? That might help people give you more specific suggestions.

Have you noticed specific foods that set you off? You need to chart things so you can try to figure out what your triggers are. Only you can do that.

You need to be specific about your gut? Constipation, bloat, diahrea? It could anything from IBS, Candida to who knows what? That might help people give you more specific suggestions.

Have you noticed specific foods that set you off? You need to chart things so you can try to figure out what your triggers are. Only you can do that.

Terrible bloating, pain, gas, heartburn. I'm pretty sure it may be SIBO. I have tried so many diets and none seem to give me much relief on the gut side of things.

Star-Anise

The Genova Comprehensive Stool test was life-changing for me. It helped me establish what was specifically going on in my gut. I found out I had a parasite, and once this was treated, my health has steadily improved with help from the methylation protocol & removal of mercury fillings from my mouth...
http://www.gdx.net/product/10140
If you find out you have yeast overgrowth, the only thing that has helped me with that is the ADP from Biotics Research. I can forward you the plan that my naturopath gave me if you want. I would recommend, however, to find out what you are looking at from the test first though. You run the risk of doing more damage by just guessing.
I also benefited greatly from the 23andme testing, because, again, I had more of an idea of what I was dealing with versus just trying my best to figure it out through educated guesswork.. All the best, S.

Radio

Star-Anise, "The Genova Comprehensive Stool test was life-changing for me"

Yes, Comprehensive Stool testing can also help identify H-Pylori infection as well....This can affect up to 50% of the world's population and could be the root cause of the symptoms you are experiencing.

What is SIBO?

Simply put, Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth is a chronic bacterial infection of the small intestine. The infection is of bacteria that normally live in the gastrointestinal tract but have abnormally overgrown in a location not meant for so many bacteria.

The Problem
The bacteria interfere with our normal digestion and absorption of food and are associated with damage to the lining or membrane of the SI (leaky gut syndrome, which I prefer to call leaky SI in this case).
  • They consume some of our food which over time leads to deficiencies in their favorite nutrients such as iron and B12, causing anemia.
  • They consume food unable to be absorbed due to SI lining damage, which creates more bacterial overgrowth (a vicious cycle).
  • After eating our food, they produce gas/ expel flatus, within our SI. The gas causes abdominal bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea or both (the symptoms of IBS). Excess gas can also cause belching and flatulence.
  • They decrease proper fat absorption by deconjugating bile leading to deficiencies of vitamins A & D and fatty stools.
  • Through the damaged lining, larger food particles not able to be fully digested, enter into the body which the immune system reacts to. This causes food allergies/ sensitivities.
  • Bacteria themselves can also enter the body/bloodstream. Immune system reaction to bacteria and their cell walls (endotoxin) causes chronic fatigue and body pain and burdens the liver.
  • Finally, the bacteria excrete acids which in high amounts can cause neurological and cognitive symptoms.
SIBO Testing
Unfortunately there is no perfect test. The small intestine (SI) is a hard place to get to. If we want to see or sample the SI, endoscopy only reaches into the top portion, and colonoscopy only reaches into the end portion. The middle portion, which is substantial (about 17 feet) is not accessible, other than by surgery. And stool testing predominantly reflects the large intestine (LI). Luckily, there is a non-invasive test which is commonly used in SIBO research; the Hydrogen Breath Test.
Hydrogen Breath Test
A hydrogen breath test can be used to diagnose several conditions: H pylori infection, carbohydrate malabsorption (ex. lactose) and SIBO.

SIBO Breath Test
Breath testing measures the hydrogen (H) & methane (M) gas produced by bacteria in the SI that has diffused into the blood, then lungs, for expiration. H & M are gases produced by bacteria, not by humans. The gas is graphed over the SI transit time of 2 or 3 hours & compared to baseline. Patients drink a sugar solution of glucose or lactulose after a 1 or 2 day preparatory diet. The diet removes much of the food that would feed the bacteria, allowing for a clear reaction to the sugar drink.
Two types of tests may be used: Lactulose or Glucose.

Lactulose Breath Test (LBT)

Humans can't digest or absorb lactulose. Only bacteria have the proper enzymes to do this. After they consume lactulose, they make gas. If there is an overgrowth, this will be reflected in the levels of H and/or M.

The advantage to this test is that it can diagnose overgrowth in the distal end of the SI, thought to be more common. The disadvantage is that it cannot diagnose bacterial overgrowth as well as the Glucose Breath Test (GBT).

Glucose Breath Test (GBT)

Both humans and bacteria absorb glucose. Glucose is absorbed within the first three feet of the SI, therefore if the bacterial gases of H and/or M are produced during this test, it reflects an overgrowth in the proximal/upper end of the SI (within the first two feet).

The advantage to this test is that it successfully and accurately diagnoses proximal overgrowth. The disadvantage is that it cannot diagnose distal overgrowth, occurring in the latter 17 feet of the SI, which is thought to be more common.

SIBO-Info
http://www.siboinfo.com/testing1.html

Chronic-Infection-H-pylori-Manganese-Connection

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nfection-h-pylori-manganese-connection.27569/

Last edited:

Victronix

Just doing a little research, it seems that a number of studies see the Lactulose Hydrogen Breath Test for SIBO as useless, although the Glucose test is seen as having merit.

This study, for example concluded: "On the basis of culture, 19% patients with IBS had SIBO. The specificity of GHBT was 100%, but the sensitivity of this test and the diagnostic performances of LHBT and breath methane were all very poor. SIBO was more common in IBS patients with diarrhea than in patients with other bowel habits."

Gingergrrl

@Xhale19991 Have you had the basic MTHFR gene test done? It is less comprehensive than 23andMe but can provide info if you would benefit from Methyl B-12 and Folate.

As far as GI issues, I had horrible problems (which prevented me from tolerating most meds and supplements) and also constant nausea and frequent diarrhea. I worked with an ND and had tests for SIBO (negative) Leaky Gut (positive) and full GI & stool profile and a food sensitivity test.

From all of this I was put on a very restricted diet for three months (no gluten, dairy, eggs, sugar, yeast, corn, or soy) along with GI Repair Powder 2x/day (now done with this part), two probiotics, and a digestion enzyme. My stomach is almost 100% better with the exception of one supplement that still causes me nausea but I am determined to get back to the full dose of it anyway.

I will be on this diet until mid-Sept and then re-take the food sensitivity test. My ND has been amazing in helping with the GI issues but so far I have had no luck with the fatigue or cardiac/autonomic stuff.

Victronix

A few questions . . .Which SIBO and food sensitivity tests did you have? And do you know how the restricted diet came about -- is it a particular diet, or did your ND put it together? Also, why 2 probiotics, and which ones? Glad that you had that improvement!

Gingergrrl

A few questions . . .Which SIBO and food sensitivity tests did you have? And do you know how the restricted diet came about -- is it a particular diet, or did your ND put it together? Also, why 2 probiotics, and which ones? Glad that you had that improvement!

@Victronix I will check and get back to you with answers to all your questions as I don't have any of the info in front of me. Also I love your tree avatar painting!

Gingergrrl

@Victronix I wanted to get back to you and then I couldn't find this thread! To answer your questions...

The SIBO test was actually done at an integrative gastroenterologist's office (everything else was test kits from my ND.) I am not sure what the SIBO test was called but it was a procedure that took several hours and I had to drink a sugar drink and then breathe into a tube every 20-30 min. It came back completely negative in my case. I was also tested for Celiac and other stuff which were negative. I believe that the Stool test was by Genova Labs.

As far as the Leaky Gut test, it was by Genova Labs and the Food Sensitivity Test was by U.S. Biotek Labs. Both showed I was positive for Leaky Gut or intestinal permeability. The second test showed high inflammation markers for gluten (which I already had not eaten for six mos at that point) as well as all dairy/cheese/casein, etc., eggs, cane sugar, and then moderate inflammation for soy, corn, mushrooms, string beans and a few other things. None of these were allergies in the sense that I could eat all of those foods and not have an allergic reaction requiring treatment.

My ND completely eliminated ALL of these foods for three months which ends mid-Sept and then I will repeat the test (by U.S. Biotek Labs) to see if the inflammation has gone down. Then she will have a plan to slowly re-introduce some of these foods. When I started this whole process (even before the restricted diet) I could barely eat due to nausea and diarrhea which are now virtually gone. I have lost about 20 lbs so far (which has been the only plus of this whole illness LOL.)

The first Probiotic and digestive enzyme are from a company called Kimia Logic and the second probiotic is called "Ultra Flora Acute Care." My ND wanted me to have probiotics with saccromyces boullaardi in them (I am sure I am spelling that wrong.) I do not remember who made the GI Repair Powder (it came in a white canister) and you mix it twice per day with water but I am now done with that part of the protocol.

Hope this helps!

Victronix

Thanks so much! That's very interesting, especially about the foods inflammation testing and how that helped you. I will look into that. I have suspected I have leaky gut. I guess if one does have it, what are the solutions? It sounds like the sensitivity test would be important with leaky gut.

I've just started preparing for the Genova stool test and am having to stop my probiotics for 2 weeks, now am up at 4 am with stomach cramping . . . in 2012 I had intense stomach cramping that went on for weeks and the only thing that stopped it was probiotics and increasing the B-12, chicken soup every day. . . it was a nightmare. Not looking forward to the next 2 weeks!

Gingergrrl

Thanks so much! That's very interesting, especially about the foods inflammation testing and how that helped you. I will look into that. I have suspected I have leaky gut. I guess if one does have it, what are the solutions? It sounds like the sensitivity test would be important with leaky gut.

I've just started preparing for the Genova stool test and am having to stop my probiotics for 2 weeks, now am up at 4 am with stomach cramping . . . in 2012 I had intense stomach cramping that went on for weeks and the only thing that stopped it was probiotics and increasing the B-12, chicken soup every day. . . it was a nightmare. Not looking forward to the next 2 weeks!

@Victronix I wasn't taking Probiotics before I had all those tests so I wasn't aware of the preparation. Sorry to hear you are going through all that. For me, treating the Leaky Gut involved starting the probiotics, digestive enzymes, GI Repair Powder, etc, and going onto an extreme elimination diet for three months. I will be repeating the food sensitivity test in about two wks and then based on the results, will be adding some of the foods back in.