• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What start dosage for HydroxyB12?

Avalon

I initially started mb12 at 250mg a day, felt ok, then upped this to 500mcg a day, but found it hard to combine mfolate with it. So I am moving to Rich's protocol, what would be a start dosage for hydroxyb12, I note Rich specified 2000mcg, that seems high to me. I also note that it can be converted to mb12 and adb12..

boo85

I think I may have problems with cyano and methyl B12 too. Either it just doesn't agree with me at all, or it's too much for my body to handle, or it causes over-methylation or something. But I seem to not be able to do it. It causes very high anxiety and stress.

However, I do seem to tolerate B12 injections (hydroxocobalamin) well, up to the point of 1000mcg per injection, with "only" low potassium symptoms. By contrast I can't even take 50mcg of cyano or methyl B12 in tablet form because of the aforementioned reactions. Right now I'm on a very low dose of 10mcg of cyano B12 but I think I might give that up completely and go with hydroxy B12 instead.

However, I've only taken 1000mcg hydroxocobalamin as injections as frequently as once per week, so I'm not sure yet how I'd go in having that amount every day, or even 500mcg each day (or every second day etc.)

I'm going to order hydroxocobalamin as lozenges online soon, so that way instead of going to the doctors and needing an injection, I can control the dose at home and increase it to more than 1000mcg per month/two weeks, however frequent the dr thinks I should have it. Doctors aren't keen on an injection every day because they undervalue B12. And I'm not comfortable with injecting it myself so hydroxy B12 lozenges are the way to go, I think.

If you want to follow my progress with hydroxy B12 and doses you can go to the link in my signature.

Avalon

@boo85 sorry for not replying earlier, had a couple mini crashes! Yes I tried mb12 and got spacey but slept ok, but when I took mfolate after a few days my sleep deteriorated. So now on hb12, it's definitely giving me more energy, I am a little more jittery though. I think hb12 is the right supplement for you and perhaps latter down the line you could supplement with a little mb12, which is what I may do.

Avalon

@boo85, I do not take B3. I have noticed a feeling in my chest around the heart, so I took some TD magnesium and it went away. One thing I noted is that I have low blood pressure its usally around 104/80, but if I take too much Vitamin D or recently potassium I feel very fatigued. I verify that it is blood pressure by bp monitor, it shows bp dropped to 89/60.

You are taking all your supplements in the am, right?

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I found hydroxy to be much gentler (weaker) than mB12. I started with 1000mcg and quickly worked up to 2000mcg. It is good but drives methyoation slower.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@Avalon I have not started folates yet, other than the 25mcg in Yasko's vitamin. I also take a Pure Encapsulations trace mineral, the NatureMade (low dose) B complex, and low dose NT Factor EnergyLipids 2x a day.

Yes, my sleep is back to "perfect" or close enough. Nothing to complain about! :)

In terms of boosting & neurological brightening, I think of hydroxycobalmin like green tea and methylcobalmin like strong black coffee.

It gives a mellow but noticeable lift, with far less chance of jittering or bugging out. I think I'd probably be fine with 3000 - 5000mcg but I am feeling pretty good and I am going slow.

boo85

@Avalon

I can't really stomach a lot of supplements in the morning. So I usually take them between 2pm - 7pm in batches.

If I do take supplements in the morning it will be either Vitamin C (1 gram) or potassium salt (2 grams.)

We have a blood pressure monitor here, I might start measuring it each day, thanks for the tip.

Have you tried taking hydroxy B12 yet? Are you taking the lozenges or doing the injections?

Avalon

@Sherpa nice job!! hope it keeps going well!

@boo85 I would be careful about taking supplement late afternoon/evening they may keep you awake at night, that is affect either your sleep onset or sleep maintenance (particular vitamin B vitamins) Sleep is imperative to good cognitive health and body maintenance. I would stop all supplements by 2.00 pm.

I currently take 250mcg of hydroxyb12 sublingual by Perque once a day, yesterday just started folinic acid at 150mcg a day, although stopped both today (hb12 and folinic) to take my weekly Thorne iv multivitamin and adb12 instead.

boo85

@Avalon

Most of the supplements I take in the afternoon aren't B12/methylfolate etc, it's usually just vitamin D, cod liver oil, zinc, iron, Vitamin C etc. I'll be sure to take any B12 in the morning. Usually my sleep isn't affected too much but I'll be sure to keep it in mind if I find myself staying awake.

I take magnesium at dinnertime with food so that it might help me sleep better. I've usually been a good sleeper anyway. A good solid 9 - 10 hours per night. If I'm not sleeping well then I know something is wrong...

Thanks for your dosages. :)