• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what seems likely to have improved my gut?

I've been struggling with a painful gut after eating for years. The only time it's ever better is when I'm on a juice fast and not taking any solid food. But almost all solid food causes irritation (while certain foods cause extra irritation probably due to sensitivies). I've been adding supplements gradually over the past two months, and to my amazement the gut pain is starting to improve dramatically in the past week. Because I've added so many supplements in the past two months (some of them two months ago, some of them more recently), it's not clear which ones might be responsible for the improvement (or what combinations might be doing it). I want to list everything I've added and the order in which I added it, and I'm interested to know if someone here might identify something that seems likely to have an effect on the gut.

This is the stuff I've added, roughly in order in which I added it (it was approximately one new thing every week).

• magnesium supplementation was the first thing I did. First 400 mg/day and then 800 mg/day. I actually noticed an improvement within the first week after starting the magnesium, but then it shifted and seemed unclear if it was really any different (while in the past week it is finally very clear things are different).
  • vitamin C (up to 3 g/day)
  • fish oils (equivalent to 3 g of DHA daily)
  • dibencozide (1.25 mg every few days)
  • lithium orotate (working up gradually to 60 mg/day -- this stuff works wonders for my mood)
  • DHEA (25 mg every few days)
  • Jarrow B-right
  • phophatidylserine (this is the most recent addition--about 200 mg/day starting just four days ago)

Hip

A painful gut after eating can be a sign of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). You might want to check with your doctor about this. If you do have IBS, then there is plenty of advice online about supplements that can help IBS.

Yes, I'm aware of the possible tie-in to IBS. My primary care doctor suspects I have it, but he didn't have any suggestions for treatment as he doesn't know much about supplements. What's curious is that I seem to have started taking something already that helps it.

bump - still interested to know if anyone has an idea what among the listed supplements could have affected my gut so positively

Hip

I suggest that you look up each one of those supplements in Google, in the context of IBS, and see which are known to help IBS. For example: magnesium IBS.

Hip

By the way, if you have IBS-C (constipation dominant IBS), then note that high dose magnesium (your 800 mg daily counts as high dose) has a laxative effect, and that might be helping to relieve pain.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I was surprised to see that almost all of these supplements are not typically reccomended for the gut (except magnesium and fish oil). My bet is that the fish oil helped via balancing fatty acids and reducing inflammation but I have seen people getting better gut with these methylation-type supplements you are taking. I know myself one naturopath sent me fish oil among others for my leaky gut (which I think didnt work out). In tests my fatty acids or whatever they are called (arachinoid acid and such) were quite messed.

BTW how does lithium help your mood? Less depression, negativeness or moodiness?