• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Psychological Topics Need to Be Researched?

alex3619

This type of CBT may also be used in other chronic conditions and some say they find it very helpful in coming to terms with being chronically ill.
CBT is a spectrum of treatments, not one thing. They have some principles in common, but different goals. Its part of the problem with changing definitions that CBT/GET proponents often use to persuade people about things. People think they mean one thing, but they mean another, based on a technical definition you can find in one paper or another. They then vacillate between the different meanings. That is how they deceive with apparent truth ... under one meaning their statements appear fair, under another their statements are irrational.

I have done classic CBT, back in the 80s, to try to help cope with my newly diagnosed CFS. I think it was very mildly useful, at least for me. This supportive and coping version might help some patients. The problem is the coercive kind, aimed at increasing activity, has led to trust being broken between the patient and medical communities.

alex3619

Unless you're testing for the simple presence of a brain then wouldn't a fMRI be a better choice?
On a more serious note, I suspect a quantitative EEG is the way to go now, rather than fMRI. We might know for sure in a few years when some follow up studies are done. We also know that its likely we can find structural changes in ME brains, though this needs further validation. Its just that the changes are not what everyone was looking for. It was a very "what the heck are we seeing?" moment.

As for psychobabblers, sadly no brain scan will show irrational thought, though both an fMRI and qEEG might show disordered brain function if its there. Fortunately we have these things called evidence and logic, and sadly many psychobabblers fail on both far too often for comfort.

BeautifulDay

For those that missed this article in 2014 titled: "Beyond tired: Chronic fatigue syndrome remains misunderstood and understudied. Psychologists are among those trying to change that." American Psychological Associations Feature, October 2014, Vol 45, No. 9
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/10/beyond-tired.aspx

I'd like to see more articles written by Kirsten Weir on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

@sparklehoof - Finding psychology articles written about scientists who understand that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is not in our heads might be a place to start for finding direction and mentors in the field. Thank you for considering the possibility of having your future career be something in the field of research for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients. It is truly needed.

BeautifulDay

being overwhelmed and feeling depleted by negative people, situations, of being able to enjoy my body with a walk, a bike ride, or even cleaning out my messy car ...."

There are things that trigger my sense of ME. One is my messy car. The kids are constantly leaving things in the car. It takes energy to focus kids to take things with them in a constructive manner and I hate low energy confrontations, so I tend to save my energy for things like walking in the house. Then I mean to clean out the car when I have more energy and then the cognitive memory issue pops up and I forget about cleaning it out again.

Last year when dropping our daughter off at school, the nice school principal meets the kids and opens the door as each kid pops out in the drop off lane. Every day, I'd remember my car was dirty and I'd be mortified as he opened the door, I'd come home to clean out the car, there would be no energy. I'd make a mental note to come back after a lay down. Then after the lay down when there was a little more energy, I'd do something around the house (something on one of my reminder sticky notes). Then my alarm would go off to pick her up from school. The nice principal would again open my car door and I'd be again mortified (well at least until I shortly thereafter forgot all about it - again).

My version of Ground Hogs Day, featuring a messy car, Chronic Fatigue and Cognitive Memory Issues. And the world keeps spinning.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I would like to see a MRI study looking for signs of brain activity in psychobabblers.
I suspect you will find the areas of the brain that are activated are the ones that respond to cocaine :rofl:

Unless you're testing for the simple presence of a brain then wouldn't a fMRI be a better choice?
I know a few people that may have no brain at all, i would like to be sure. :woot:

sparklehoof

For the past week every time I walk out to my dirty car, I think of all of you.

When about to start my car, I say to myself, “I’ll stop at the car wash on my way back from the pharmacy- today will be the day!”

....~30 minutes later...⏱ After picking up my rx.

I’m usually hugging my steering wheel in the same manner that a drunk person would lean in and firmly grip the shoulder of their best friend at a party.

My internal dialogue says, “I’ll go lay down. I’ll stop the next time that I can get out.”

I’ve had this goal for a while...

my coupon for the car wash expired March 31, 2016.